SELECT problems

luke.browning

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the following statement:

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT Users.Username, Users.Firstname, Users.Surname, Settings.Title FROM Users, Settings WHERE Settings.Owner = Users.Username AND Users.Firstname LIKE '%{$query}%' OR Users.Surname LIKE '%{$query}%' OR Users.Username LIKE '%{$query}%' OR Settings.Title LIKE '%{$query}%'";

Basically its a little script thats just searching the database for the variable I pass in. The problem is, I have it running on my development system fine, returns the correct results. The problem is, when I upload it to my web server, the results returned are every possible combination of results as if the WHERE Settings.Owner = Users.Username is not being tested. I don't know if it makes much difference, but my development system runs mysql version 5.1.37 and my web server is running 5.0.89.

Thanks for any help,

Luke

It might be precendence issues that are causing it. Try sticking those OR terms in brackets, like this:

SELECT DISTINCT 
Users.Username,
Users.Firstname,
Users.Surname,
Settings.Title 
FROM Users, Settings 
WHERE Settings.Owner = Users.Username 
AND (
Users.Firstname LIKE '%{$query}%' 
OR Users.Surname LIKE '%{$query}%'
OR Users.Username LIKE '%{$query}%'
OR Settings.Title LIKE '%{$query}%'
);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.