Best way to do this? [Java]

This is probably a really newbie question but what is the best way to do a map that has to contain two arrays.

I will try to clarify. I have a map that is X squares wide and X squares high (X = a variable passed to it which can change).

I was thinking that the easiest way would be something like an array or vector with X*X elements and then each element having an array of what the map tile holds but different map tiles can hold different amounts of data.

I have two vectors:

mapArray and mapSquare.

I add elements to mapSquare (a and b plus the number the loop is on) so a0 and b0 then a1,b1 etc.

The only problem is that every element in the primary array/vector is the exact same if I do .clear() on the vector.

If i don't do .clear() on the mapSquare then the mapSquare works but has the previous elements plus all the new ones so a0,b0 even when I want the mapSquare to contain only like a1,b1.

Oh dear I don't think anyone is going to be able to understand this :(.

I will try to clarify any bits that anyone is still confused on.

I am guessing that I did confuse everyone :(

Here is what i have been playing with:

Object map[mapSize][];

for(int i=0;i<mapSize;i++) {

map[i][] = {"Element 1","Object 2","Item 3"};
}

But the code errors at the map[] ={...}; bit.

The error is "Syntax error, insert "}" to complete Block"

Hope that clarifies things now.

I am wanting to create a game and this is the only thing that I have found hard.

The map is of an area of land. Each tile will hold information like what is on that tile such as whether is a building and if so what building or if it doesn't have a building on it then does it have building rights.

The first index would be the tile ID and then the second one would be the actual stuff there.

So like:

map[] = {true,none, false};

where the first value is if it is owned, the second is what is built there and the final one is the status of building rights.

Hope that makes sense. I have a horrible tendancy to waffle and make no sense.

Instead of storing that info in an array, why not store it in an object?*  It just seems like a simpler way to look at it, and it would increase readability.  I mean, how would you access the info stored in a tile with the way you have it now?  Something like:

(map[1][5])[0]; // whatever that's supposed to return

Right?

With a tile object, you could have a method that makes it a lot easier to see what's going on:

map[1][5].GetId(); //return the id of the tile at coordinates 1-5

This would also allow you to plug in other functionality into each individual tile.  Are some tiles due for a buff/debuff?  Add an observer.  Do some give different bonuses?  Wrap a decorator around them.

The point is to not fight against Java's OO nature.  Arrays are a useful tool, but not the only one available to you.

Regarding your syntax error, I can't help you there.  I don't know Java.  My mostly-OO language of choice is C#, which is pretty similar to Java, from what I hear.

*Yes, I know that arrays are objects in Java.  I mean a proper object. ;-)

hmm That is a good idea to have a tile class. It would definantly make it easier. I have problems with OOP sometimes as when I first started programming they taught us procedural and I am now trying to learn OOP style.

Thank you for the advice.

Doing it with a tile class also means there is no worrying about the syntax error.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.