PHP 5.3 Compile On Shared Server--Help!

Hi everyone.

OK, I built a site using php 5.3 (wampserver 2.0 on my machine), went to upload everything to a server and discovered that the host doesn't support 5.3 yet (and I used a lot of late static binding, etc.).  Long story short, shared Linux server, and support at host says, "you can upgrade to 5.3, but we won't tell you how since it's 3rd party stuff.  But you can do it."

Yes, I get it, terrible hosting company.  I have no control over that right now--I need this live in hours, not weeks.

Can you provide a simple explanation of how I can compile/upgrade/whatever a Linux shared server from 5.2.8 to 5.3?  I have access to the root, I think, and I've created the MySql database and got the php to connect just fine.  I can put a php5.ini and htaccess or any other stuff.  They're also using phpMyAdmin, which is nice, since I'm familiar with it.  What I am is server-stupid in a very real way.

Help. . . please?  Everything I've found trolling the web is either clearly idiotic or way over my head--I need the in-between description of the actual steps I would take to get the php to 5.3 with a quickness.  or a resource, or a clue.  Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

If it is a shared host you do not have root access. You may however have shell access to your account.

However, having said that, the information you have provided isn't enough for us to help you. You will need to get the instructions from your host as they are the only ones with enough information.

We could make assumptions about the setup but you would be simply wasting more time if things don't work.

OK, assume that the host will provide no instructions (that's their position, anyway).  What information would I need to provide you?  I'll find out! 

I appreciate the need for information, and I don't want to waste your time, so all I can do is assure you I'll be attentive and track down what you need.  The problem is, i know so little about servers that I don't know the questions to ask.  but they assure me I can affect the php.  Are there libraries i can add to make the difference?  Fines I can upload?  I'm not even sure what I'd do if I did have a dedicated server.

Help!

If this is shared web hosting, you are not gong to be able to install your own version of php as that requires administrative access to the server. You can however select which version of php your account/site uses if that version of php is already installed. It would just be a matter of selecting the php version by what ever method your web host has setup. That your web host would not provide instructions or has not posted them in his FAQ section, suggests that either he does not know how or that the php version you asked about is not installed. Some common ways are by a selection in your hosting control panel or by putting a configuration setting into a .htaccess file.

If this is a shared server (i.e. VPS), then you should be able to install any version you want.

Yes, this is shared hosting and I assumed I wouldn't be able to get to 5.3 on my own, either, but their support keeps telling me that, in fact, I can do it on my own.  So, while I am close to just giving up, I'm hoping someone can sort out what the support is telling me.

I can get to the server command line via SSH.  I can see the php.ini info for my files.  What, if anything, would i enter on the command line to determine whether I can upload php files and/or add whatever library makes 5.3 able to handle late static bindings?

late static bindings is a feature of php5.3, therefore you need a server running php5.3.

Yeah, that's the point of this thread at this point: if I have SSH access to a shared server, is there a way to load 5.3 on the server.  It's either get the server to 5.3, or get a new host.

So, does anyone have a suggestion, if looking at the SSH command line, what i need to type to see if I have access?  The earlier suggestion was

gcc --version

but gcc wasn't on there.  Other compiler names to try?  Again, this is all new, but I figure i can at least exclude this possibility. 

If you can get to a prompt you have shell access, however without gcc you can't compile anything.

Again, I suggest you speak to your host about how to get to 5.3. If they can't provide the information, leave them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.