VPS without cPanel and limited time

proggR

I have a placement meeting coming up in two days. I've been working on a site offline to use as a portfolio for the meeting. Its all done, now I just need  a place to host it. I've found a decent price on VPS hosting that I could afford spending money on. I've never used a VPS before though so I'm wondering how much time it will take to get it all setup. With the free shared hosts I've used in the past its been a matter of uploading the site and running some sql code to create the database and its ready. I will not have any kind of cPanel though and I've never really used SSH for anything.

So here are my questions:

1 - is this doable by Wednesday? It doesn't have/need PHP or MySQL on Wednesday. I can leave the content static and change it later.

2 - how hard is it to use one VPS for multiple domains, I have 3 or 4 others scattered between other hosts I'd like to setup on here. None get much/any traffic right now because I haven't done anything with them.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll keep looking around.

1.  It's probably as easy as using yum or apt-get to install the necessary software.  (yum install php php-cli mysql mysql-client php-mysql httpd for example)

2.  You've configured virtual hosts before, right?  If not, it's still not hard to figure out.

You could definitely have it done by Wednesday.  Although, if you're never configured Apache before, or never run anything under linux, then I would say no lol.

1.  It's probably as easy as using yum or apt-get to install the necessary software.  (yum install php php-cli mysql mysql-client php-mysql httpd for example)

2.  You've configured virtual hosts before, right?  If not, it's still not hard to figure out.

You could definitely have it done by Wednesday.  Although, if you're never configured Apache before, or never run anything under linux, then I would say no lol.

Thanks for the reply :)

I bought it and set it up already. Its through a2hosting. They had a decent walkthrough for newbs like me :P. Even though it doesn't have cPanel, it does have what I assume is a proprietary management system which made it easier than trying to do it all through the console like I had imagined.

It also runs Kloxo which I have never heard of but its only taking up 15MB of my RAM so I may leave it with that instead of reimaging it without another distro.

Anyway, overall good first experience. I'm glad to be rid of shared hosting. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.