Undefined index error

gwh

Hi everyone,

The following code in a controller file shows that I have an array that's been built after querying the database (I haven't shown the select query so the post won't be too long):

$items = array();

while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result))
      {
       $items[] = array('itemTitle' => $row['itemTitle'], 'itemSKULadies' => $row['itemSKULadies'], 'itemSKUMen' => $row['itemSKUMen'], 'itemDescLadies' => $row['itemDescLadies'], 'itemDescMen' => $row['itemDescMen'], 'itemPriceBoth' => $row['itemPriceBoth'], 'itemPriceFemale' => $row['itemPriceFemale'], 'itemPriceMale' => $row['itemPriceMale'], 'itemColoursBoth' => $row['itemColoursBoth'], 'itemColoursFemale' => $row['itemColoursFemale'], 'itemColoursMale' => $row['itemColoursMale'], 'Lsize' => $row['Lsize'], 'Msize' => $row['Msize'], 'itemType' => $row['itemType'], 'itemSwatchBoth' => $row['itemSwatchBoth'], 'itemSwatchFemale' => $row['itemSwatchFemale'], 'itemSwatchMale' => $row['itemSwatchMale'], 'itemImage' => $row['itemImage'], 'subcategory' => $row['subcategory']);
      }

include 'catalogue_consumer.php';
      exit();
}
?>

You can see above that it includes a template file catalogue_consumer.php.

Part of this template file contains the code shown below.

<?php 
	if ($items['subcategory'] == Formalwear) {		
	echo "<a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=1\">Suits</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=10\">Vests</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=16\">Formal Shirts</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=12\">Bow Ties</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=15\">Cummerbunds</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=11\">Formal Ties</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=14\"> Cravats </a>";
	}
?>

You can see that I'm referencing the 'subcategory' from the $items array above:

if ($items['subcategory'] == Formalwear)

When I test I get an Undefined index error:

Notice: Undefined index: subcategory in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/site/consumer/catalogue/catalogue_consumer.php on line 151

This errors refers to the line above, ie

if ($items['subcategory'] == Formalwear)

I don't understand why it's saying it's undefined since it's in the array mentioned above. So I just wondered how I can define it so the error will be eliminated?

Appreciate any assistance.

That's because $items['subcategory'] doesn't exist.

$items is already an array, and you're making another array inside each element of the $items array to store your data.

e.g. $items[0]['subcategory'] would return the data for the first row in the database.

$items[1]['subcategory'] would return the second and so on.

Thanks for the replies,

I understand a bit more now.

I revised the code as follows:

<?php foreach ($items as $item):
	if ($item['subcategory'] == "Formalwear") {		
	echo "<a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=1\">Suits</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=10\">Vests</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=16\">Formal Shirts</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=12\">Bow Ties</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=15\">Cummerbunds</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=11\">Formal Ties</a>
		  <a href=\"$url_consumer/index.php?subcatID=6&itemTypeID=14\"> Cravats </a>";
	}endforeach;
?>

This has eliminated the error but it's produced another problem. For example in the Suits category there are 5 items, so it's outputting 5 lots of the 7 links above. All I want to do is output 7 links - not 1 set of 7 for each item in that category as it's doing.

I think this has to do with the foreach loop, but I don't know an alternative.

Any further advice appreciated.

Instead of the foreach loop I tried:

$item = $items[19];

But that didn't work. Actually I don't even know if that makes sense. It gave me the following error:

Notice: Undefined offset: 19 in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/site/consumer/catalogue/catalogue_consumer.php on line 149

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.