calling php within a javascript code

wmguk

Hi,

I have a dynamic script that creates and deletes my pages etc from a CMS system.

Basically I need to check my database and show all results for pages where parent = 1

Now, I can do this in PHP, however I dont know how to build this in to the JS code for a dropdown menu...

var anylinkmenu1={divclass:'anylinkmenu', inlinestyle:'width:150px; background:#0066cc', linktarget:''} //First menu variable. Make sure "anylinkmenu1" is a unique name!
anylinkmenu1.items=[
["title", "slug"],
]

The title is called title in the DB and the page name is called slug (this is what you use in the address bar.

I dont know how to build this up, and can I have my connection and query script in the .js file?

Thanks

I have tried this:

<?php
include_once("http://www.xxxxx.eu.com/wolfcms/config.php");

if (!$myconn)  
{  
die( 'Could not connect: ' . mysql_error() );  
} 

$pagesql= "SELECT * FROM page WHERE parent = 1"; 
$pageres= mysql_query( $pagesql ) or die( ); 
while($pagerow= mysql_fetch_array($pageres)) 
{ 
?>
var anylinkmenu1={divclass:'anylinkmenu', inlinestyle:'width:150px; background:#0066cc', linktarget:''} 
anylinkmenu1.items=[
["<?php echo $pagerow['title']; ?>", "<?php echo $pagerow['slug']; ?>"],
["", ""]
]

But I get a JS error on load now :(

Any Ideas?

Hi,

I remembered using one before with some help from this site, so I just pulled up the site that is running it...

http://www.witsuk.co.uk has a latest news scroller on it, which uses the same code idea as this new site...

I've used the same structure as the working code, (below) but still getting an error

<?php
include ("http://www.taxbusters.eu.com/wolfcms/config.php");
$pagesql= "SELECT * FROM page WHERE parent = 107"; 
$pageres= mysql_query( $pagesql ); 
?>
var anylinkmenu1={divclass:'anylinkmenu', inlinestyle:'width:150px; background:#0066cc', linktarget:''} 
anylinkmenu1.items=[

<?php
while($pagerow= mysql_fetch_array($pageres)) 
{ 
?>
["<?php echo $pagerow['title']; ?>", "<?php echo $pagerow['slug']; ?>"],
<?php } ?>
["", ""]
]

You cannot use php code in JavaScript. However, you can make a request to a php file using AJAX, get the response and use the data however you want.

Um, Yes you can.

AddType  application/x-httpd-php .js

Can you provide a link with some info on that because after I googled it I couldn't find anything useful? Thanks in advance.

You cannot use php code in JavaScript. However, you can make a request to a php file using AJAX, get the response and use the data however you want.

Um, Yes you can.

I just added that using my CPanel MIME controls, however my whole site now gets a 500 error?? Any ideas?

<tr>
        <td height="250" align="center" valign="top" class="nav"><script language="javascript">new pausescroller(pausecontent, "scroller", "main", 3000)</script></td>
      </tr>

<script src="http://www.witsuk.co.uk/Scripts/scroller.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
/*Example message arrays for the two demo scrollers*/
var pausecontent=new Array()
pausecontent[0]='<a href="news.php#">2008-11-03</a><br />Moved to new offices in Market Place Dereham!'
pausecontent[1]='<a href="news.php#">2008-12-01</a><br />New Large Client Aquired!'
pausecontent[2]='<a href="news.php#">2009-01-02</a><br />New Sales Force Recruited!'
pausecontent[3]='<a href="news.php#">2009-02-02</a><br />New Website Launched!'
pausecontent[4]='<a href="news.php#">2009-02-09</a><br />New email marketing software launched!'
pausecontent[5]='<a href="news.php#">2009-02-14</a><br />New photography software completed!'
pausecontent[6]='<a href="news.php#">2009-02-25</a><br />Launch of New Online Shop for Local Client!'
pausecontent[7]='<a href="news.php#">2009-03-04</a><br />Completed Bliss Tiling Website!'
pausecontent[8]='<a href="news.php#">2009-03-12</a><br />Completed Pitch Clean Website!'
pausecontent[9]='<a href="news.php#">2009-03-20</a><br />Completed iwphoto.co.uk Website!'
pausecontent[10]='<a href="news.php#">2009-03-27</a><br />New CMS system designed and implemented!'
pausecontent[11]='<a href="news.php#">2009-04-01</a><br />Completed Pride of Bourne Awards Website!'
pausecontent[12]='<a href="news.php#">2009-04-16</a><br />Completed Landscape Machinery Hire Website!'
pausecontent[13]='<a href="news.php#">2009-04-21</a><br />Completed Ouch Online Ordering Website!'
pausecontent[14]='<a href="news.php#">2009-04-29</a><br />Sales Force Expansion!'
pausecontent[15]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-01</a><br />Regional Sales Force in place for Norfolk & Suffolk!'
pausecontent[16]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-05</a><br />Large UK National Client Aquired!'
pausecontent[17]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-12</a><br />Completed TR Bookkeeping website!'
pausecontent[18]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-18</a><br />Completed Road Runner Couriers Website!'
pausecontent[19]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-19</a><br />Completed Unique Building Website!'
pausecontent[20]='<a href="news.php#">2009-05-26</a><br />Completed Bruce Howell Waterfowl Website!'
pausecontent[21]='<a href="news.php#">2009-06-03</a><br />Completed Simple Solutions Website!'
pausecontent[22]='<a href="news.php#">2009-06-09</a><br />Completed Stuston Farm Shop Website!'
pausecontent[23]='<a href="news.php#">2009-06-18</a><br />Completed Anglia Skips Website!'
pausecontent[24]='<a href="news.php#">2009-06-24</a><br />Completed The Falcon Public House Website!'
pausecontent[25]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-01</a><br />Completed Baggleys Machinery Website!'
pausecontent[26]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-06</a><br />Completed Housemate Cleaning Website!'
pausecontent[27]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-08</a><br />Completed MAP Recovery Website!'
pausecontent[28]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-09</a><br />Completed Replace Your Plates Website!'
pausecontent[29]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-10</a><br />Completed Eastern Beansprouts Website!'
pausecontent[30]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-13</a><br />Completed Norfolk Energy Consultancy Website!'
pausecontent[31]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-17</a><br />Completed Kaandaro Event Videographer Website!'
pausecontent[32]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-23</a><br />Completed New Local Recruitment Website!'
pausecontent[33]='<a href="news.php#">2009-07-31</a><br />Completed New Balloon Designer Website!'
pausecontent[34]='<a href="news.php#">2009-08-01</a><br />Expansion to Newer Larger Offices!'
pausecontent[35]='<a href="news.php#">2009-08-04</a><br />New Call Centre Opens Recruiting Now!'
</script>

Is that what you needed?

Is that what you needed?

Hi no sorry, I already have that code in raw php / js form, I was trying to get a different website to access php in js pages, it seems my server is upset now though lol, I'm getting a 500 error

Um, Yes you can.

I just added that using my CPanel MIME controls, however my whole site now gets a 500 error?? Any ideas?

Don't use cPanel. Just use your FTP and remove everything from .htaccess, cPanel is stupid and doesn't put an option on a new line, thus the error.

If you look at the file it most likely lists the new mimetype on the same line as another entry.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.