iframe problem (relating to IE cookies)

waynew

There's a site I'm working on. It uses an iframe to show live video from security cameras on another website. The src of the iframe is an IP that's different from the site IP/domain that I'm working on. In FF, it shows fine, however in IE, I have to change my Security Policy to Low in order for the site to show, otherwise it says "Cookies Must be enabled" or something (IE7). I've heard it has something to do with 3rd party cookies. Any ideas? I don't have access to the site the iframe is linking to.

This new setting causes problems for a lot of sites that use communication across domains.

Sites that use a page in one domain to display the data, where the authentication is handled by a site in a different domain, displayed in an iframe would be affected. Many ajax sites use "fragment identifiers" for communication across domains.

According to the Tagneto blog:

A page is served from a different domain than the URL for an iframe in that page. Normally cross domain, cross frame communication is prohibited for security reasons. However, the two frames can communicate with each other by using fragment identifiers (the hash part of an URL, like http://some.domain.com/path/to/page.html#fragmentIdentifier)."

http://thedesignspace.net/MT2archives/000472.html

Should bring some answers to light.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.