I want to license stuff but dont understand it properly, help please.

eddedwards

Ok, so im thinking of starting up working in development and have started working on some basic php tools that I will use to write peoples websites with, like template system and db wrap etc. Now how would I go about copywriting and licensing if I wanted to make a specific tool open source but still keeping everything outside of that specific tool copywritable to myself and chargeable.

How would this work? or could I consider my charges to people as a service rather than licensing the software?

In the end I would like the tool to have the following T&C:

1: Free for use and modification but only in a non-commercial environment.

2: Any significant modifications of the free version must have authors permission before public use which will be gained by sending the author the modifications for possible addition into future versions, credit will be given obviously.

3: Commercial use or a commercial version requires authors permission (in the form of a pricetag)

If you want a custom license you will either have to write it yourself (based on a template) or let someone write it for you. You can not opt for an open-source license as

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

Is the first rule of Open-Source

1: Free for use and modification but only in a non-commercial environment.

2: Any significant modifications of the free version must have authors permission before public use which will be gained by sending the author the modifications for possible addition into future versions, credit will be given obviously.

3: Commercial use or a commercial version requires authors permission (in the form of a pricetag)

Almost sounds like this one:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.