Max connections

johnsmith153

MySQL version: 5.0.77

I am on the Rackspace Cloud platform and their database allows 2000 connections and 500 per user. Although they say you can scale a web site to allow thousands of visitors, I can't see how when I can only get 500 connections.

Is there a way around this (they say not)? At the moment I use two different users to connect to two different databases (on the same database server) - does this mean I get 500 connections for each of these user accounts?

What if my PHP code randomly assigned a different user to each visitor (out of four that I would create on the database server in advance) - would that mean I could have 500 connections PER USER - and thus get the full 2000 for my site?

All I really need to know is this:

If max_user_connections is set to 500, does that mean that I can just get PHP to randomly assign a different mysql user to use to connect and in effect my website would have 2000 connections if 4 random users were used.

OR, is the max_user_connection 'my site' as the user - and of course no way of ever getting more than 500 connections.

I am sure this is a simple question to those in the know and whilst I have no right to any help, I am a little surprised there hasn't been a response to this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.