Trouble with server

garydt

This is part of my code-

<?php require_once('Connections/gary.php'); ?>
<?php

$gary = mysql_connect("localhost","root") or die("Error connecting to database<br /><br />".mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("people") or die("Error selecting database<br /><br />".mysql_error());
$query_Recordset5 = "SELECT * FROM newtable";

It works fiine on my local pc/server.  However when I went onto the online server to setup the database and table their mysql administrator only let me setup the table and not the database properties. I've connected support about creating the database properties but they don't seem to have a clue about it.

What can I do?

Just to let you know, when i try the webpage i get-

Warning: require_once(Connections/gary.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/index.php on line 2

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'Connections/gary.php' (include_path='.://lib/php') in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/index.php on line 2

I'm sorry, i'm confused. How do I connect the webpage to the table online without haviing a database?

on my pc the mysql settings are

connection - gary

host address - localhost

user name - root

the database is called people.

Don't i need to have these settings on the online server?

You need the database name, username, password, hostname. The host is usually 'localhost'. Whoever set the database up for you should have set a user up also. if this is your server or you are paying for hosting on a shared server then do it yourself.

mysql_connect('localhost', 'username', 'password');
mysql_select_db('database_name');

i uploaded the connections folder and now i'm getting this-

Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/Connections/gary.php on line 9

Fatal error: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/Connections/gary.php on line 9

This is line 9-

$gary = mysql_pconnect($hostname_gary, $username_gary, $password_gary) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR); 

Simple, READ THE ERROR! The username and password you are using is incorrect.

1. Do not use 'root' as the user for connecting to the database. If this password gets out you are in big trouble.

2. As I have said, you should have setup a username and password to use to connect to your database.

3. If you have access to the mysql server via SSH or whatever then setup a user for this database, otherwise get the server admin to do it.

4. Don't use persistent connections mysql_pconnect() use mysql_connect().

Now I've put this-

<?php
# FileName="Connection_php_mysql.htm"
# Type="MYSQL"
# HTTP="true"
$hostname_gary = "localhost";
$database_gary = "people";
$username_gary = "new";
$password_gary = "garyt";
$gary = mysql_pconnect($hostname_gary, $username_gary, $password_gary) or trigger_error(mysql_error(),E_USER_ERROR); 
?>

and now i get-

Warning: mysql_pconnect() [function.mysql-pconnect]: Access denied for user 'new'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/Connections/gary.php on line 9

Fatal error: Access denied for user 'new'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/c/h/chichesterag/public_html/Connections/gary.php on line 9

What have I got to do now?  Sorry to keep asking.

When I click on mysql i get

mySQL

mySQL is a powerful database server. mySQL databases can be integrated into web pages opening opportunities for advanced data driven sites and ecommerce.

mySQL is currently set-up on this account.

Change mySQL Password

mySQL Administrator

Remove mySQL

Clicking on mysql administrator i get-

List Tables 

Create Table 

Export Data 

Run SQL 

and

Table List

The tables within your database are shown below.

Table Records Action

newtablee 0  Browse Search Properties Insert Drop Empty Rename Add   

Create New Table

The MySql administrator interface is already connected to the server. You just need to use it to manipulate the MySql database.

From your previous post I see you have a table called "newtblee" with "0" records but what is the name of the database schema this is contained in?

the database is called people but the online server hasn't any options where i can create a database.

You have 2 options here I think.

1. Ask your host to explain how to do this step by step.

2. Find some better hosting for your site, with CPanel or Plesk which makes all this stuff a piece of cake.

I think I would most certainly take the latter option.

GT

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.