dynamic combobox and mysql

robert_gsfame

I have dynamic combobox

below is the html code and javascript

function show(){

if (document.form1.country.value == "Brazil"){document.getElementById('city').innerHTML = "<select name='mycity' id='mycity'><option value='ABC' id='ABC'>ABC</option></select>"}

<form name="form1" method="post" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];?>">

<select name="country"><option value="brazil" id="brazil" onchange= onchange="show()">Brazil</option>

<div id="city"></div>

<input type="submit" value="submit>

</form>

now the problem is when i retrieve the data from mysql database, let say i have ABC already stored in the table (column 'city') then i wish to have it straight away once login...how can i do that as i have used onchange event and that will hide the 2nd combobox if 1st combobox not yet chosen

Just so you know this will create problems if you use the same property in a tag more than once. It uses the first instance and ignore the rest. Remove the first "onchange=" occurance.

<select name="country"><option value="brazil" id="brazil" onchange= onchange="show()">Brazil</option>

change

to

<select name="country"><option value="brazil" id="brazil" onchange="show()">Brazil</option>

btw my suggestion won't fix your problem, i'm just pointing out a problem.

Once the user is logged in, I assume you populate a global variable or a session variable. Say e.g. $_SESSION['city_id']. Then you could do this:

<?PHP if ($loggedin) { ?>
<select name="country"><option value="brazil" id="brazil">Brazil</option></select>
<select name="city"><?PHP
//loop through table of cities and check if city id == $_SESSION['city_id']
while () {
	echo '<option value="brazil" id="brazil" '.(city id == $_SESSION['city_id']?'selected':'').'>Brazil</option>';
} ?></select>
</form>
<?PHP } else { ?>
<script>
function show(){
	if (document.form1.country.value == "Brazil") {
		document.getElementById('city').innerHTML = "<select name='mycity' id='mycity'><option value='ABC' id='ABC'>ABC</option></select>";
	}
}
</script>
<select name="country"><option value="brazil" id="brazil" onchange="show()">Brazil</option>
<div id="city"></div>
</form>
<?PHP } ?>

Please know that this is just a concept and has not been tested and is psuedo-ish. Hope this put you on the right track.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.