more index questions

schilly

so I'm trying really hard to tune my db and mainly improve the response time of queries which has got me redoing a bunch of indexes.

if you have an index on two fields in a table, is it redundant to have another index on just one of those fields? will a query that uses only one of those fields return just as fast with the two field index as it would with the one field one?

thx.

is it redundant to have another index on just one of those fields? will a query that uses only one of those fields return just as fast with

The answer to both of those wuextions is absolutely not.  If you are using only one of the columns in the two column index then that index will not be used.  So it is smart practice to index on the single column as well if it will be used a lot iin your queries.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.