Hosting a MYSQL server at home but the site elsewhere?

jordz

I'm currently building a photo upload site. The Traffic and Database Size won't be anything at all to start off with but the traffic will grow (i hope).

My question today is:

I've set up hosting with a hosting company and they have provided me with 10mysql databases, but the databases are structured where each database has different login credentials(This is a bit of a pain in the back side). A possibility is to host the database from home which would take most of the brunt off hosting everything from home but let me have full control of my database from home.

The website itself and all the images uploaded  will be hosted at one end of the net and the database over here at my end.

My understanding is that mysql is really nothing size wise when you think about it, does this mean that the amount of bandwidth it would take up on my broadband connection would be almost nothing? There is though a PHPBB forum running as well, that would need to be counted for.

If it does pick up high traffic does anyone know if this will have a significant impact on my internet? I currently have an 8mbit line.

I am also thinking about getting a separate internet line running into my house just for the database if this is a good idea and works out? Would a 50mbit virgin line work?

Thanks

Jordan

The idea sounds a pretty ridiculous if you ask me. You need to run machines 24/7. Do you have a ups?

I run a few complete sites from home but I have a ups and they are not production sites.

Bandwidth? Would completely depend on how much data is being pulled from your database.

I guess its not a good idea then?

I shouldn't have been so harsh sorry, but really, its depends entirely on your requirements.

I wouldn't host anything I thought anyone else except myself was actually going to use. I host a small blog and a few subversion servers from my house, that's it. Anything else needs proper hosting as far as I'm concerned.

On top of the actual infrastructure problem there's security issues. Do you know anything about configuring a proper firewall (not some point and click windows firewall)? Securing an OS against intrusion? Securing MySql?

Well I don't think the sites going to be all that big to be honest, It was just because the hosting I currently have has a terrible database structure. The mysql database that would run would be pretty much nothing to start off with It would make it easier for me to backup things that would be on it. You make a fair point about the security, It was just an idea. All the details would have been planned, just after I knew the initial idea would be worth looking more into which I don't think it is.

Thanks though.

Jordan

The way the databases work is:

I get 10 separate databases. Each with 150meg of space. Each database needs different login credentials.

Database1 - user: Db1 password: blah

Database2 - user: Db2 password: blah

Database3 - user: Db3 password: blah

See what I mean?

I'm using separate databases for everything and each page needs to connect to multiple databases at once. I've got a feeling its slowing my site down quite a bit, could this be the case?

I created a class that basically does this:

class Db{
function database($name){
$password = 'blah';
$host = 'whatever';
mysql_connect('$host','$name','$password');
mysql_select_db('$name');
    }
}

Each page uses 3 databases + and uses this class many times, is this slowing the site down? Cause it feels like it is.

Jordan

I'm using separate databases for everything and each page needs to connect to multiple databases at once.

Why are you using a separate database for everything? That's going to make life difficult and your applications design floored to begin with.

If you doing it because you only get 150mg of space per db, the next suggestion would be to get a better host, not try to host it from home.

Each page uses 3 databases + and uses this class many times, is this slowing the site down?

Not as much as connecting to your home MySQL server would. Network latency would be much higher than any overhead you get from opening several connections at once.

Anyway, as Thorpe says, you'd probably be better looking for a host that better meets your needs. There are many that do not have such silly conditions and are probably within same price range.

I support Thorpe on this, get a better host. If your hosting does not do, or cannot be configured to do, what you want then find another package somewhere that will.

It is a lot easier to do this than have to code your site to allow for the inefficiencies or strange configs of a particular webhosting package.

GT

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.