Problem with ID numbers

doddsey_65

I have a message system that i have just made on my site. when the user clicks on their message in their inbox it takes them to inbox.php?id=the id of the message, and this is displayed through the (isset($_GET['id'])) method. But whats to stop the user typing into the address bar inbox.php?id=22 or whatever. This would allow the user to see messages sent to and from other members. all they hve to do is get lucky with the id. Is there anyway to get around this?

what does your query look like. what does your table look like? I assume each message has a to and from column. You could simply check in the query that id=$_GET['id'] AND user=$username where $username is the currently logged in user (perhaps you store this value in a session when they log in? well if you don't adding that functionality is trivial)

I have a message system that i have just made on my site. when the user clicks on their message in their inbox it takes them to inbox.php?id=the id of the message, and this is displayed through the (isset($_GET['id'])) method. But whats to stop the user typing into the address bar inbox.php?id=22 or whatever. This would allow the user to see messages sent to and from other members. all they hve to do is get lucky with the id. Is there anyway to get around this?

There's nothing to stop a user from typing in any url they want. Since you can't prevent that, you need to code accordingly. Instead of just displaying the message if someone requests it, display the message only when it's requested by one of the message's recipients, or the person who sent the message.

In other words, before you display the message, check to see if the user requesting the message is one of the people the message was to, or the person who sent the message. If it's not, display some kind of error, warn the user to stop trying to abuse the system, forward them to an index page, or whatever else you feel is appropriate.

Query with both $_GET['id'] as you $_SESSION stored user_id

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.