Is it worth learning HTML5 yet?

spires

Hi

Quick question. Is it worth learning HTML5 yet?

I'm just about to start building a new community website which is going to be a big project.

I'm not to sure wether to use CSS3 and HTML5, as this will be the standard in the future,

but is it worth using now?

Thanks

There is no problem with using HTML5 and CSS3 but, considering both are still uncomplete and under review and are only supported by some browsers you have to accept that some (or most) users might not be able to view your website properly.

No one can say that for sure, as 'most users' will be different for each and every site. If your site is about adult diapers, then you are going to have a completely different set of users than a site about PS3 games. As a result, their choice in browsers will also be different.

On top of this, it really depends on how fast people come to change their browsers, and while people can try to guess, no one knows for sure.

But as an estimate, I'd say at least two more years. Probably more like three.

I wouldn't use HTML 5 yet, but it's only my personal opinion. If you are okay with implementing something in your site that isn't very stable yet, then I'd say go for it, but it's scheduled to become a candidate for a recommendation only in 2012, so it can still take several years before it receives that recommendation... But it's still nice to know that the web is still evolving after the previous HTML releases :)

HTML 5 is going to be a great addition to the current technologies

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.