PHP String Search

sh0wtym3

Given the code below:

abcdefg

abcdefg

abcdefg

Lets say I wanted to str_replace only the letters "cde" of the string "abcdefg" that lies in between "3333" and "4444"

... How can I do that? I have a feeling I might need to use regular expressions

I'm trying but I'm not finding a viable solution, here's what I have:

preg_replace("/cde/", "ccddee", $string);

The problem is that "cde" appears multiple times, I need to get only the instance that appears between "3333" and "4444", if that makes sense. So once replaced, the new string will read:

abcdefg

abccddeefg

abcdefg

Unfortunately I'm not great with regular expressions (I'm terrible actually!) but I know you can specify strings that need to appear before and/or after a variable. Hopefully someone else on here can shed some light on this for you.

To clarify....

I am basically using PHP to change the value of a CSS property, specifically "background-color". The problem is the background color property appears multiple times and I need to change the value of the one that appears inside a certain selector.

If I was doing something like that, I would parse the CSS into an array. Each element in the array would have the selector as the key and the values as the value.

For example:

<?php

$css = array('body' => 'font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;',
                   'a' => 'color:#000;',
                   'a.big' => 'font-size:18px; font-weight:bold;',
); 

$selectorToFind = 'a.big';

$css[$selectorToFind] = str_replace('font-size:18px;', 'font-size:30px;', $css[$selectorToFind]);

?>

Would I be able to parse an entire stylesheet that way? I will be running different stylesheets through the script, and they are each about 450-500 lines long with tons of different selectors.

From the example it seems like you defined your array manually, I would need the arrays to populate automatically. Then I could change that one property and rewrite the CSS file using fwrite()

I defined my array manually but you could parse yours dynamically easily enough. You could write this functionality manually using either substr and strpos or regular expressions. Alternatively, you could use one of the many pre-written PHP CSS parsers.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=php+css+parser&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.