PHP mySQL SEO URL Building help.

monkeytooth

Morning..

I have a database full of records, in the hundreds of thousands if not more. These records I think were never intended to be used as part of a web application, or at least thats what I assume. That or this thing is rather dated. I'm not sure either way. But that doesn't matter I have been charged with the task of making it SEO Friendly. Can't say I am to sure as where to begin with the idea. This is a database of books (titles, authors, print date, and so on).

Now what I am expected to pull off in all this is the ability to create a URL like:

http://www.domain.com/book/title/title-of-the-book/

Now I know how to work the magic with .htaccess, use php scripting to my advantage with a URL like that. However my issue is the titles themselves. They are hardly to say the least "Sanatized"

Javascript&Ajax

HTML, Xhtml and Css: Visual Quickstart Guide

Intro. to Econometrics, Brief Edition

Wie Geht's? - With CD

Puentes  - With 2 CD's

Above is just a couple of samples from the title column of the database. As you can see there are a handful of characters in those titles that could break the URL and even scripts they will run through.

What I am gathering is my best bet is to create another column on the table and use it for friendly variations of those titles, by friendly I mean

Javascript-Ajax

HTML-Xhtml-and-Css-Visual-Quickstart-Guide

Intro-to-Econometrics-Brief-Edition

Wie-Gehts-With-CD

Puentes-With-2-CDs

Where I am stuck is what is "URL/Script" Safe, and what isn't I mean I have a general grasp on deffinantely things not to use. But would anyone be willing to help me figure out a way to filter the original titles and widdle them down to its equivalents. I only ask cause I am working with a serious ammount of records, I know im going to run into time outs if i just try to run it on the full tables worth of data, I also know Im sure what ever filter I might make to do this might be missing key things that I want to prevent. So any ideas would be very helpful

Thank you in advance for any advice, help, etc any of you may have to offer..

Sorry, to just bump this.. but this is something I am seriously curious about, and I dont even know where to begin. Im just looking for idea's. Even if someone can tell me what that type of URL is called so I can search for it myself Ill be happy with that. :-)

Sorry, to just bump this.. but this is something I am seriously curious about, and I dont even know where to begin. Im just looking for idea's. Even if someone can tell me what that type of URL is called so I can search for it myself Ill be happy with that. :-)

They're called url slugs, Here is an example:

function slug($str)
{
$str = strtolower(trim($str));
$str = preg_replace('/[^a-z0-9-]/', '-', $str);
$str = preg_replace('/-+/', "-", $str);
return $str;
}

I'm sure there are many many many many examples online, as WP/Virtually every other CMS out there utilizes them.

I see you're working with German titles too, If in case there's an accented character you can always use iconv:

$string = "ABBĀSĀBĀD";

echo iconv('UTF-8', 'ISO-8859-1//IGNORE', $string);
// output: ABBSBD

echo iconv('UTF-8', 'ISO-8859-1//TRANSLIT//IGNORE', $string);
// output: ABBASABAD

Thanks oni-kun, I will definitely be looking into Slugs a bit more, and thank you for giving me a start point and suggesting the char conversion function, I don't think I knew about that one, but makes good sense. Ill have to take a better look at the database see how many titles are with non us char's.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.