questions about time() and creating a date with a time of 12:00am of that day

Jax2

Hi guys...

I need to know how to do this, and quickly :/ I found a website where you could type in a date and it would give you the unix timestamp of that date at 12:00 am...

For example, if you type in todays date (04 09 2010) you'll get 1270771200

I am inserting records into a database and I need to be able to find all records that have a callback date of a certain time. The problem is, as it is now, it is inserting the time of day as well, so the string could look like this: 1270837382 which would be 6:23 pm on todays date.

I need to figure out how I would write it so that when it inserts the date, it is only inserting it as 12:00am on the day specified... (I use +86400 to add 1 day, +172800 for +2 days from now ...etc)

Let me make it clear:

I enter a new contact. I need to contact that person at a later date. I need the contact later date to be 12:00 am exactly 3 days from now. So I would take todays date (at 12:00am) and add 3 days, or 259200 to that timestamp ...

This way, when I need to find all records for clients that need to be contacted on a certain day, I can simply look up that day at 12:00am exactly and find the records with no problem.

If you are confused, PLEASE ask questions, I will explain better if I can ...

I tried doing this btw:

$now=date('Y-m-d');

$now2=time($now);

contact_next=($now+86400); (for tomorrow)

But unfortunately, it's still including the hours:minutes:seconds in that instead of just the date with a time of 12:00:00am

What happens when you run a query such as:

select * from contacts where contact_date between '2010-04-10' and '2010-04-10 23:59:59'

Does it give you the contacts for that specific date?

It won't, because the contact_next field is stored as a timestampe (I.e. 1270837382), not a date (I.e. 2010-04-09)

Really?  Because when I create a table with a timestamp column and select * in phpMyAdmin it's displaying them as '0000-00-00 00:00:00' and not as 0.

Anyways, if you look through the date and time functions for your version of MySQL, there should be a way to convert the timestamp to a '0000-00-00' day only format without having to change any of the column information or PHP code.

Something like:

select * from contacts where DATE_FORMAT( contact_date, 'format' ) between '2010-04-10' and '2010-04-10 23:59:59'

If DATE_FORMAT doesn't work there should be another function that will.  :)

Okay. I found a solution.

Keep it simple. (Gee, such a great saying)...

Instead of messing around with conversions and trying to get this date to match that date out of a timestamp and BLA BLA BLA ... I simply added a new field:

call_back_date, which is the same thing as the timestamp but in date format, so then when I want to find out if a date is the same, I can just use THAT record instead of trying to convert the timestring to a date and then compare.

Problem solved :)

Really?  Because when I create a table with a timestamp column and select * in phpMyAdmin it's displaying them as '0000-00-00 00:00:00' and not as 0.

Anyways, if you look through the date and time functions for your version of MySQL, there should be a way to convert the timestamp to a '0000-00-00' day only format without having to change any of the column information or PHP code.

Something like:

select * from contacts where DATE_FORMAT( contact_date, 'format' ) between '2010-04-10' and '2010-04-10 23:59:59'

If DATE_FORMAT doesn't work there should be another function that will.  :)

Heh, I'm not storing them the same way... mine are stored as: 1270814400 ... it's not an actual TIMESTAMP sql field ... it's just varchar with time() inserted...  Anyhow, I got it working, but I appreciate all your suggestions!!

Well if they're all varchar but with numeric timestamps in them, you should be able to do one of the following:

1) In the query, use a CAST() to convert the varchar to a timestamp.

2) Issue an alter table statement and change the column's type to timestamp.

I would strongly advise against leaving them as varchar as they are timestamps and the database has a built-in type to support that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.