Running an Apache Server thruough a router.

haX80r

Hello,
I have an apache server running on a fairly new Windows 2003 Server. My network is centered around a Linksys WRT54G router. I signed up for an account at DynDNS.org and I am running the dynamic DNS service on my server. However, whenever I go to the domain I have registered, I just get my router's HTTP setup page. My local network uses 192.168.1.x DHCP, provided by my central router. My server has a direct gigabit connection to my router. How do I run my web page server through my router? I am fairly new to this.

Thanks,
HaX80r

Are you set up in the following manner?

Cable comes into home -> Cable goes into modem -> Modem goes into router's WAN -> Computers go into other ports of router.

Once this is done, change your modem's setup to send requests on port 80 to your computer that is running the server, for example 192.168.1.x. Setup Apache to listen on this same internal IP, 192.168.1.x.

Just to add to effigy's comments, as you're new to this sort of thing, the relevant section of your router setup is probably called "port forwarding" or "virtual servers". You enter the incoming port or range of ports, then the machine you want it to route to, then the port on that machine that you want it to route to.

For instance, my FTP server is set up on local IP 192.168.2.4. The entry in "Virtual Servers" reads:
Port 21 -> 192.168.2.4 -> Port 21
and then my FTP server listens on port 21 (the usual for FTP)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.