Equal fields

karimali831

Yep, but not through HTML. What you're describing is basic form validation and you can achieve this using server-side (PHP) or client-side (javascript). Google "php form validation" or "javascript form validation".

For PHP, you simply need to define the input of your text fields as variables and then compare them using a Boolean condition.

I can do this for you if you paste the relevant code or explain what it is you're trying to achieve.

Hi,

Here is the HTML:

<form action="?site=cupactions&action=score&clan1=$clanID&matchID=$matchID&cupID=$cupID" method="post" name="post">
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" border="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="$border">
	<tr>
		<td bgcolor="$pagebg"></td>
        </tr>
	<tr> 
		<td bgcolor="$bg1">
			<table width="100%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
				<tr> 
					<td>%your% Score:</td>
					<td><input name="score1" type="text" class="form_off" id="score1" onFocus="this.className=\'form_on\'" onBlur="this.className=\'form_off\'" size="3"></td>
					<td>%opponent% Score:
					  <input name="score2" type="text" class="form_off" id="score2" onFocus="this.className=\'form_on\'" onBlur="this.className=\'form_off\'" size="3"></td>
				  </tr>
				<tr>
					<td colspan="3" align="right" ><input name="submit" type="submit" value="%submit%"></td>
				</tr>
			</table>
		</td>
	</tr>
</table>
</form>

For validations I want numeric values only and if score1 is equal/same as score 2, there will be an error.

Thanks for your help

Howdy,

As much as I’ve wanted to, I haven’t significantly edited your html mark-up or added CSS. You really shouldn’t be using a table, let alone a table within a table to define your layout. Tables are for presenting tabular data such as a database. Instead, you should be using divs styled by CSS.

Learn more here: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

In any case, I’m by no means a PHP expert but the following validation works - just copy and paste:

<?php
// If the submit button is pressed...
if (isset($_POST['submit']))
{

// Validation

// If score one is empty or non-numeric define a message as a variable... 
if (strlen($_POST['scoreone']) > 0 && is_numeric($_POST['scoreone']))
  {$scoreone=TRUE;}
else
  {$scoreone=FALSE;
  $message_scoreone=" *Error! Please input a numeric value for score one!";}

// If score two is empty or non-numeric define a message as a variable... 
if (strlen($_POST['scoretwo']) > 0 && is_numeric($_POST['scoretwo']))
  {$scoretwo=TRUE;}
else
  {$scoretwo=FALSE;
  $message_scoretwo=" *Error! Please input a numeric value for score two!";}

// If score one = score two and are not blank define a message as a variable:
if (($_POST['scoreone'] == $_POST['scoretwo']) && (strlen($_POST['scoreone']) > 0) && (strlen($_POST['scoretwo']) > 0))
  {$scorecheck=FALSE;
  $message_scorecheck=" *Error! Please ensure that score one and two are not the same!";}
else
  {$scorecheck=TRUE;
  }

// If score one and two are validated and do not match then pass the variables via url...
// THE HEADER FUNCTION MUST BE POSITIONED BEFORE THE OPENING HTML TAG!!!
if ($scoreone && $scoretwo && $scorecheck)
  {
   //WE'RE USING THE HEADER FUNCTION INSTEAD OF THE FORM TO SEND THE VARIABLES VIA URL...
   header('Location:?site=cupactions&action=score&clan1=$clanID&matchID=$matchID&cupID=$cupID');
  }
}
?>
<html>
<body style="color: white; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">
<!--<form action="?site=cupactions&action=score&clan1=$clanID&matchID=$matchID&cupID=$cupID" method="post" name="post">-->
<form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>#marker" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">

<!--START OUTER TABLE-->
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" border="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="$border">
  <tr>
   <td bgcolor="$pagebg">
   </td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
   <td bgcolor="$bg1">

<!--START INNER TABLE-->
    <table width="100%" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">
     <tr>
      <td>
       %your% Score:
      </td>
      <td>
       <input name="scoreone" type="text" class="form_off" id="score1" onFocus="this.className=\'form_on\'" onBlur="this.className=\'form_off\'" size="3" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['scoreone'])) echo $_POST['scoreone']; ?>">
      </td>
      <td>
       %opponent% Score:
       <input name="scoretwo" type="text" class="form_off" id="score2" onFocus="this.className=\'form_on\'" onBlur="this.className=\'form_off\'" size="3" value="<?php if (isset($_POST['scoretwo'])) echo $_POST['scoretwo']; ?>">
      </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
      <td colspan="2" style="color:red; padding-left: 10px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif;">
       <?php if ($message_scoreone) echo "<p>".$message_scoreone."</p>"; ?>
       <?php if ($message_scoretwo) echo "<p>".$message_scoretwo."</p>"; ?>
       <?php if ($message_scorecheck) echo "<p>".$message_scorecheck."</p>"; ?>
      </td>
      <td colspan="1" align="right">
       <input name="submit" type="submit" value="%submit%">
      </td>
     </tr>
    </table>
    <!--END INNER TABLE-->

</td>
  </tr>
</table>
<!--END OUTER TABLE-->
</form>
<body>
</html>

The form will now do one of four things:

[*]Produce an error message if score one is not empty numeric.

[*]Produce an error message if score two is empty or not numeric.

[*]Produce an error if score one and two are the same.

[*]If there are no errors the form will behave as usual.

Pay attention to the comments I included within the code. Certain functions, such as the header() function should not be moved.

Mark this topic as solved once you're good to go and for future reference, this should have been posted in the PHP coding help section of the forum.

;)

I think there is a bug. Everytime I use

if (strlen($_POST['score1']) > 0 && is_numeric($_POST['score1']))
  {$score1=TRUE;}
else
  {$score1=FALSE;
  $message_score1=" *Error! Please input a numeric value for score 1!";}

if (strlen($_POST['score2']) > 0 && is_numeric($_POST['score2']))
  {$score2=TRUE;}
else
  {$score2=FALSE;
  $message_score2=" *Error! Please input a numeric value for score two!";}

if (($_POST['score1'] == $_POST['score2']) && (strlen($_POST['score1']) > 0) && (strlen($_POST['score2']) > 0))
  {$scorecheck=FALSE;
  $message_scorecheck=" *Error! Please ensure that score one and two are not the same!";}
else
  {$scorecheck=TRUE;
  }
  			if ($message_score1) die("$message_score1");
		if ($message_score2) die("$message_score2");
		if ($message_scorecheck) die("$message_scorecheck");

and I enter for example, 1 for score1 and 0 for score2, in database it shows score1 is 0 and score2 is 0?

when i don't use the above it's fine.

That's sounds a bit odd but it's very likely a minor issue. Can you reveal more of your code (the more the better) so that I can try to reproduce what you're trying to achieve on my end? Naturally edit out your database password and any other sensitive information with an 'x'. I'm guessing it's how the SQL query is picking up on the values of the variables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.