Not Allowing Duplicate Records in Table

gaza165

Hi Everyone,

I have a table structure as follows:

Store_ID            |  Employee_ID

-------------------------------------------

1              |          2

1              |          2                        <<<<<<<<<< cant have this!!

2              |          2                        <<<<<<<<<< can have this!!

Basically, one of the criterias is that I cant have the same employee as part of the same store...

So i guess what im trying to achieve is that duplicate records cant appear in the table.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to enforce this in my table structure??

Thanks

Garry

Well sure, you can set the field to unique, as in, no other record can have the same value, but then if you try and insert it, you're going to get a broken query, so you'll still have to do the query check first anyhow...

Hi Guys,

Im keeping this context out of PHP...just concentrating on SQL.

What you have suggested is brilliant, the whole idea of this question is that I create a suitable database schema for the operations to be performed on the tables.

So, you are saying...if I set both ID's as primary keys i wont be able to have duplicate values in my table???

Garry

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.