Rwriting pages like blog permalinks

graham23s

Hi Guys,

I have moved from blogs to css/html sites again, but i liked the look of the permalink structure on blogs, for example:

my: /privacy-policy.php looks better as /privacy-policy/ i'm not sure what to write to make them look like the second option.

any help would be appreciated

thanks guys

Graham

Just make sure all your links are the second format not the first. Then to make them actually work using something like the following in a .htaccess file.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME } !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME } !-f
RewriteRule ^[a-zA-Z-]$ /$1.php [QSA]

Hi Cags,

Thank for the reply mate :)

i did a test on my localhost i made 2 files:

index.php

<a href="privacy-policy/">Privacy Policy</a>

privacy-policy.php

<h1>Privacy Policy Page</h1>

then my .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME } !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME } !-f
RewriteRule ^[a-zA-Z-]$ /$1.php [QSA]

The strange thing is the directory doesn't show up at all, i took away the .htaccess file and found out the error: Internal Server Error was being returned i can't figure what the problem is.

thanks mate

Graham

Hi graham23s,

I was obviously half asleep when I wrote that code out. The 500 server error is probably caused by the spaces after REQUEST_FILENAME, not quite sure why I put those there, just from typing out I guess. Secondly I missed a quantifier off of the Regex pattern meaning it will only match URLs that are a single character long, thirdly there's not capture group so $1 will be an empty string meaning you will be redirected to http://domain.com/.php. Try this instead...

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^([a-zA-Z-]+)$ /$1.php [QSA]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.