Full Text Search Problem

jraede

I just tried to implement full text searching to my database. It's working for the most part, but when I search for numbers, it doesn't return the rows as expected. For example, I have a table of venues, and one is called "901 Bar and Grill". When I search for "901 bar" my query looks like this:

SELECT DISTINCT `venues`.*, MATCH(`meta`, `name`, `vdescription`) AGAINST ('901 bar') AS venuescore FROM `venues` WHERE (`vpending` = '0') AND (MATCH(`meta`, `name`, `vdescription`) AGAINST ('901 bar')) 

The specific entry for 901 bar looks like this:

name: 901 Bar & Grill

meta: 9-0 nine-o 90

Shouldn't this show up with a search for "901 bar"?

Thanks for any help.

You might also look at boolean mode, which will return more results.

Also, the minimum string length (I think, off the top of my head) is 4 characters - so "901" wouldn't ever match in that case.

FullText is very cool but it is definitely not as straightforward as other conditions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.