change background color

robert_gsfame

I have scrollbar to show all records that i retrieved from database...i wish to have <td> background color change to #CCCCCC once being click and let say i have 5 records, then if second record is being clicked then the background turn into #CCCCCC and when another record is being clicked assume third record then i want to have the third record background turn into #CCCCCC while the other turn into #FFFFFF

i have this for my html, $id--> is the dynamic record, $total--> mysql_num_rows($query)

<td id=$id onclick=changecolor('$id','$total')>

then i have this function

function changecolor(x,y){

document.getElementById(x).style.backgroundColor="#CCCCCC";

for(i=0;i<y+1;i++){

if(i!==x){

document.getElementById(i).style.backgroundColor="#FFFFFF";}

}

}

Result: when i click on the record, it turn into #CCCCCC but when i click on the other record i still find the first record i choose before still with #CCCCCC background color not #FFFFFF

thx in advance

You can do it pretty easily with jquery

<table id="myTable">
    <tr>
        <td>
            Test
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>
            Test 2
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/path/to/jquery.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function(){

$("#myTable td").each(function(){

$(this).click(function(){

changeColor(this);

});

});

});

function changeColor(which){

$("#myTable td").each(function(){

$(this).css("background-color","ffffff");

})

$(which).css("background-color","cccccc");

}// end function

</script>

I'd definitely check it out. For now I can explain my code, but I don't have the time to create a pure javascript version. Although, for that matter, jquery is pure javascript.

<table id="myTable"> // this is a sample table. it has tds
    <tr>
        <td>
            Test
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>
            Test 2
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/path/to/jquery.js"></script> // a link to jquery, gotten from jquery.com

<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function(){   // when the page is done loading...

$("#myTable td").each(function(){    // get every td inside of our table, where the table's id = myTable, and run a function on them

$(this).click(function(){     // this = a td in our table. so we are saying, when this particular td is clicked...

changeColor(this);       // run a function called changeColor, and pass the object representation of the current td in our loop

});

});

});

function changeColor(which){    // our function decleration

$("#myTable td").each(function(){   // get every td inside of our table, where the table's id = myTable, and run a function on them

$(this).css("background-color","ffffff"); // make the current td's background white. as this is a loop, as before ( each() ) it will make all the td's white

})

$(which).css("background-color","cccccc"); // now that the table has been 'reset' to white, make the td that was clicked have a background color of #cccccc

}// end function

</script>

It seems pretty intensive to include jQuery for something so simple. I don't encourage using jQuery for anything other than effects like fading, sliding, etc.

As for the function, I'm not sure what you're going for. Can I see the HTML that goes with this? Here's revision, but I'm unsure if it works.

for(i=0;i<y+1;i++){
     }
}

I firstly, agree that jQuery isn't a must. It is definitely good to learn how pure Javascript works. That being said, minified jquery is an extremely small file (20ish kb), and the benefits are massive. Not only does it provide a quick consistent interface, it is cross-browser compatible. So no checking against msie, no errors because he didn't close his onclick calls, or give them a terminator... Secondly giving your td's id's of a single int value is terrible practice. It gives no meaning to what they are.

I learned javascript. It is cool (read: I freaking love it!). I now work at a company employing a centralized framework and will never, ever go back. We have jquery on every page just so it is ready. Would you really rather type out document.getElementById('someId').innerHTML=''; or just $("#someId").html(''); ? And don't get me started on ajax...

Now that I've derailed, my point is, learn Javascript, then learn a Framework (read: jQuery :P ), then be amazed at simple elegant code.

Back to OP...

$query=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE username='username'");

$total=mysql_num_rows($query);

if(!empty($rows)){

while($array=mysql_fetch_array($query)){

$id=$array['id'];

echo "<td id=$id onclick=changecolor('$id','$total');>";}}

for(i=0;i<y+1;i++){

if(i!==x){

}

}

So i wish to have td background change into #CCCCCC once click and have the other td background with #FFFFFF

I firstly, agree that jQuery isn't a must. It is definitely good to learn how pure Javascript works. That being said, minified jquery is an extremely small file (20ish kb), and the benefits are massive. Not only does it provide a quick consistent interface, it is cross-browser compatible. So no checking against msie, no errors because he didn't close his onclick calls, or give them a terminator... Secondly giving your td's id's of a single int value is terrible practice. It gives no meaning to what they are.

I learned javascript. It is cool (read: I freaking love it!). I now work at a company employing a centralized framework and will never, ever go back. We have jquery on every page just so it is ready. Would you really rather type out document.getElementById('someId').innerHTML=''; or just $("#someId").html(''); ? And don't get me started on ajax...

Now that I've derailed, my point is, learn Javascript, then learn a Framework (read: jQuery :P ), then be amazed at simple elegant code.

Back to OP...

If you need a few selectors, write your own function or something that masks document.getElementById("id"). Something like:

function getID (id) {
     return document.getElementById(id);
}

That, as far as I know, is already cross-browser compatible. There are very little things that aren't and they are mostly under the category of effects.

@robert_gsfame, did you try my modified code?

this is weird...when i keep on modifying the code

for (var x = 1; x <= 6; x++)

{

document.getElementById(x).style.backgroundColor="#CCCCCC"

}

and it works! what is the different between this and what i've posted before????????gossh can anyone explain this to me

is the 0 cause everything??

Probably if $id is never 0. This is probably better:

for(i=0;i<y+1;i++){
          if (document.getElementById(i)) document.getElementById(i).style.backgroundColor="#FFFFFF";}
     }
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.