or vs if else

davidcriniti

Hi,

I've made an online test for my kids at school, which is marked automatically via php.

Most questions have been ok, using this sort of format:

if ($q001 == "right") {$q001score = 1;}else {$q001score = 0;};

However, I've had a bit of trouble with questions where there is more than one answer.

I've tried using 'or' with little success. I find that '1' gets added to the score regardless of whether I get the right answer, wrong answer, or input no answer when using the following script:

if ($q001 == "right" or "right2") {$q001score = 1;}else {$q001score = 0;};

I've also substituted || for 'or' with no success.

I have solved the problem by extending the if-else statement as follows:

if ($q001 == "right" ) {$q001score = 1;} else if ($q001 == "right2") {$q001score = 1;}else {$q001score = 0;};

I was just wondering if I could reduce the amount of code by altering the 'or' statement above as the if, else if, else statement seems a bit cumbersome?

Yours gratefully,

Dave

The OR and || operators are both correct. You are not following the statement though, Consider this correction:

$q001 == "right" || $q001 == "right2"

You can only use another statement, You cannot use "This or that", it has to be "if this = this OR this = that"

If you wish for a more "automated" method, you can define an array.

$correct_answers = Array('right', 'right2');
if (in_array($q001, $correct_answers)) {
   $q001score = 1;
} else {
   $q001score = 0;
}

This will save you from typing a pile of IF/AND/OR statements provided you add to the array.

EDIT: Updated another method.

Just to note that:

$q001 == "right" or "right2"

works but is not the desired result as this always executes ($q001score = 1) never ($q001score = 0) because "right2" equals to true and because of the nature-of (or, ||) statement (which executes the if-body whenever a, b or both are true)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.