What is $sig in posix_kill()?

forumforme123

Hi,

I am trying to kill my process via pid with the function posix_kill.

However, I am not sure what is an int $sig for the second parameter?

I'm putting various number in it, from 0 - 3, and it still works, I think.

Coz I'm not getting any error back.

Any light on this is appreciated.

Thanks

I can confirm as a linux developer, but, As it seems you're learning, lets read the documentation you linked to before you require further information:

pid: The process identifier.

sig: One of the PCNTL signals constants.

Wasn't that hard? And no, POSIX is not a PHP question (Only POSIX related structures within the languages, such as POSIX Regular expressions which are deprecated in trunk) which are part of the framework. It's the same answer you'll get when asking how to use system on a foreign command.

Alright. If you're not aware of how *nix commands its processes, you can look at these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGKILL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGTERM

For example SIGTERM will be constant 15, So you should use it with your POSIX command. On a linux kernel the command "top" would allow you to view processes, You can choose to kill, terminate, or deprecate a open/halted/zombie process and basically it's a just level of command. Terminating will "tell" the command to quit, killing it will force it to terminate no matter what it's doing.

This question is off topic, There's no need to answer further.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.