Database Poblem.

sathyendra

Hi,

I started working on zencart and customized it according the requirement. The problem in the beginning it used to be fine, after it reached 90000 product records the site is responding very slow. I have added the index to some of the table it become little better and now its again slow. After a little investigation i found the following.

1)  I created the index's in database but when my user tries to add the products by uploading the excel file on the server. The products gets added but not the indexes. (is it required to add the data to index? if so how to add the data to index?)

2) The database is using MYISAM. I dont know if this supports my database.   

3) I enabled the query catche to 512MB in the server.

4) Primary keys: i am using Primary keys only for auto incrementing, can the same PK be used as foreign key in other tables?

Please suggest me the answers to the above.

Thanks & Regards,

Satya.

You really need to read more about mysql -- these questions imply that you really shouldn't be scripting blindly.

Hi,

Yes, I agree that i am scripting it blindly. Till now i only worked with the CMS or the projects that don't require good mysql skills. Now that i understand that i am not a good programmer, i have approached you people.  Any way i would be happy if u help me to clear my problem.

Thanks for the Reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Satya.   

They're not even programming questions. It's all management. You just have to read up on MySQL. I suggest picking up a book. But if you want I can answer the questions with a simple yes or no. Though, it won't help solve the issue and I don't believe that is what you want.

There's just too much to be said in a post about MySQL and optimization. There are some good links on the sticky topics in this forums. I suggest reading them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.