Trouble with setup

jjppmm29

I am sort of new to all this web design i am working on my own website as well using my own pc as a server and i can not seem to get php to work in Firefox or IE when i open it in IE it asks me to download and if i am in firefox it dose nothing i have even tryed a simple hello world or echo command and i cant get it to work i imagine it has something to do with where and how it is referencing the file cause i am working on the web site on a different pc then the server because i prefer working on this one and dont want to clutter the other one up with programs i dont know why my browsers arnt reading php i have them all updated and it isnt like websites with php dont work

i have tryed and tryed but it dosnt seem to want to work and i am just sitting here scraching my head cause i dont know what to do...... :'(

Php is a server side scripting language. It gets parsed, tokenized, and interpreted on the web server when the page is requested. Php outputs content to the browser. That content consists of HTML, CSS, Javascript, and media (images, movies...)

So, do you in fact have a working web server with php installed and you are entering URL's in your browser like http://localhost/some_file.php?

Hi,

In order to develop in php you will need to set up some sort of development environment.

Your best bet for this is possibly to take a look at something like XAMPP which will allow you to set up a local installation of apache and mysql.

Once installed correctly you will be able to browse to http://localhost and see a page that should indicate you have set up your local development environment correctly.

After you've wrapped your head around this you could then look at setting up a separate server that will serve files to the computer you are developing on, but for now you may be better just getting it all running on one computer.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.