php script for checking ids

Hi. Im making a gaming competitive site. Anyway in profile section I have it where they can add their ids. I wanted a code to prevent people from adding same id as someone elses.Ive used code below

}

if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT id FROM members WHERE icq='$member[icq]'"))){

$mes.="Cod5 id is already in use.<br />";

}

This code works for what i want however if you go into ur profile and dont edit anything or edit a completely different id and click update account it picks up that the cod5 id is already in use even though you did not change it and no one but you have it. The code is reading its own users id so it thinks your adding a duplicate id. What do i need to add to that code to have it check all ids except your own(user logged in at the time)? Thanks a lot for all your help.. Im new to php.

ok so code would be...

}

if(mysql_num_rows(mysql_query("SELECT id FROM members WHERE icq='$member[icq]' AND id != $userid"))){

$mes.="Cod5 id is already in use.<br />";

}

??  But the id for current user would be different depending on whos logged into my site at the time.So would this still work??

replace $userid with whatever variable holds the id of the user that is currently logged in.  This tells the query not to look at the current user's record, we expect the icq to match on that record and we don't care that it does because it is the same record we are about to update.

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.