PHP PDO

developerdave

Hey guys,

I've written a fairly cool MySQL CRUD, and am thinking about a PDO based one. Is it really worth it? Is there a performance hit/gain with PDO? Security is better from what I understand but PDO is a subject I haven't touched on a great deal.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated :)

Noted. I saw that in the documentation, just seems like a pretty cool feature to have instead of being stuck with MySQL. I don't personally mind MySQL but I know there are better alternatives out there.

PDO indeed allows you to connect to multiple databases but it does no re-write your queries to match the DBMS which means that you have to write your queries keeping in mind the differences between the DBMS systems you wish to support now and in the near future.

Well I'm updating my framework at the moment, its to speed up and ease development for learners and designers without compromising on functionality for PHP tech heads. Default will be MySQL but I'd quite like the option to use other technologies.

So really its a toss up between using ORM or PDO?

What do people think? I'm thinking ORM but I've had a little read on PDO and it seems pretty cool and safe while staying fairly lightweight. (important to me as I've managed to keep the framework to 10-12kb so far :D)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.