Computer Programmer Analyst

proggR

What courses do you think should be taught in a Computer Programming program. There should be roughly 30 courses, some of which can be advanced forms of previous courses. I realized the other day that in my "Student Rights" it says I'm allowed to propose curriculum changes to the dean so I'm considering doing it. I'd like for this program to be more organized.

So what would your dream programming program teach?

There's no way they can compensate for everyone. Every student will have their own level of experience with different aspects of programming. They'll all have their own preferences with languages, style of learning, etc. Unfortunately unless it's a very small group you won't always get what you want..

I understand that and that's why I am polling a larger audience. I don't want to make up a course list based on my preferences. I want to make up a course list based on a wide range of fields available in todays job market. For instance we learn COBOL, JCL and CICs in my program and while they aren't my favourite courses I understand they play an important role in the Computer Industry and I'm grateful they are taught. I'm not so thrilled at the overlap in concepts from other languages that get taught. Getting taught VB 3 times as well as C++ is redundant. I'd rather learnn VB briefly to show objects and classes and events and get taught C++ to show lower level memory management as well as the introduction to objects later on. I'd really love to see some Scheme or some other branch of functional programming added and The entire client/server portion of the program needs to be tidied up and unified. There's too much overlap and too little new concepts being taught. You should be able to learn a LOT in a three year span and I just feel that the program I'm in isn't making as good a use of the time as it could be.

So with that said. Is there any concepts/languages/methods of teaching you think a programming program should be focusing on?

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. I woke up to type this and didn't put my glasses on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.