MYSQL Query Question

tomtimms

I've been trying to wrap my brain from this and can't figure it out.  I have data that at the begging of the month the sum of the data goes into a table.  So all data for April get's summed up on may 1st and then stored into a table with the date format 2010-04.  I need a query that will display the results 45 days later, so on May 15th the 2010-04 data will be shown.  I hope this makes some sense, I can't seem to figure it out.

What's the datatype for the column that stores the 2010-04  Is it varchar?  Or is it a datetime or timestamp column?

Do you want it to display only on the 45th day later?  Or should it display as long as it's at least 45 days old?

yes its a VARCHAR (64) as I needed it to be custom time field.  The data stored in APRIL is financial and payments go out 45 days after the month is over.  So on May 1st I need the data to show up that payment is due on may 15th.  I hope that explains a little better.  I will eventually need to have 30 days and 15 days as well, but for now just 45.

I don't see why you don't just change the column type to datetime and instead of storing 2010-04 just store 2010-04-01 00:00:00.

VARCHAR(64) is 57 more bytes more than you need.  datetime is usually 8 or 9 bytes which is 1 or 2 more than you need, but it allows you to use the datetime functions which make calculating date differences very easy.

Alternatively you could CONCAT '-01' to your column value and CAST that to datetime and still use the datetime functions.

But VARCHAR(64) is a bad design decision.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.