Math in the ORDER BY clause?

lemmin

The following results in an error:

[...] ORDER BY MaxPositions-FilledPositions DESC

It would seem that you can't use math operators in the ORDER BY clause. Is there a way to get around this? I figured a function like ADD() would do the trick, but I can't find any function that would work. I realize that I could do the math as an extra SELECT item, but both MaxPositions and FilledPositions are actually aliases for pretty in depth sub-queries so they can't be used in the SELECT clause and I would have to run both of them over again with a minus sign in between to get what I want. That just isn't efficient! Any ideas?

Thanks

Reference 'FilledPositions' not supported (reference to group function)

I imagine that it would work if the two values I was trying to subtract were both columns, but since they are actually alias references, it doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.

It's not because of aliases, but because af aggregate functions. There is a workaround however: move ordering to outer query.

SELECT * FROM
(
  SELECT ID ,MAX(positions) AS MaxPositions, SUM(filled) AS FilledPositions FROM table GROUP BY ID
) AS t
ORDER BY MaxPositions-FilledPositions DESC;

Here is the part of the query in question:

SELECT
         (SELECT COALESCE(SUM(MaxPositions),0) FROM activity_event_positions p2, activity_events e2 WHERE p2.EventID = e2.EventID AND e2.ActivityID = a.ActivityID) as MaxPositions,
         COUNT(ass.PositionID) as FilledPositions
         FROM [...]

I tried adding an alias to the inside of the subquery like this:

SELECT
         (SELECT COALESCE(SUM(MaxPositions),0) as m FROM activity_event_positions p2, activity_events e2 WHERE p2.EventID = e2.EventID AND e2.ActivityID = a.ActivityID) as MaxPositions,
         FROM [...]

But then,

[...]
ORDERY BY m-FilledPositions

Throws the error:

Unknown column 'm' in 'order clause' 

Did I misunderstand what you suggested?

Thanks for the help.

Seems so.

SELECT * FROM
  (SELECT
         (SELECT COALESCE(SUM(MaxPositions),0) FROM activity_event_positions p2, activity_events e2 WHERE p2.EventID = e2.EventID AND e2.ActivityID = a.ActivityID) as MaxPositions,
         FROM [...]
  ) AS innerQuery
ORDER BY MaxPositions - FilledPositions

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.