Clearing zero variables

ms.buggy

Hi, I have a form with multiple fields that are stored to database.

Problem is that for the further purposes, 0 values are invalid. So if someone writes zero values programn should clear those.

Ok, this is very simple made with multiple if-functions, like 'if($variable==0){$variable="";}'.

But I'm interested to find other way to handle multiple values, instead of writing separate if-function for all of them. I thought that this might not be the lightest way to handle variables. I think the optimal solution would be written so that zero values would not post from form to function that stores values to database.

Any suggestions?

As you want to test it on all the variable of post. Please find my code below :-

function clearZero($arr){
if(is_array($arr) && !empty($arr)){
	foreach($arr as $key=>$val){
		$val != 0 ? $new_arr[$key] = $val : false;
	}
}
return $new_arr;
}

$clearArr = clearZero($_POST);
print_r($clearArr);

Thank you very much mjdamato!

And thank you too phpchamps, but was this only for testing?  In this case, I prefer to test and check the status of variables from the database, just in case.

It always nice to learn new!

Okay, code works mainly correctly. But I have managed to resieve an error message in some cases.

Message is: "Fatal error: Cannot redeclare clearzero() (previously declared in..." and it's pointing to the line2 'function clearZero($value)'.

This is caused when saved data already exist in the database, strange becouse there is no limitation/controlling of duplicate data. What is really strange is that this is caused when the function is not even used?? Becouse I have few values that are not even check with the 'clear zero' -funtion, when reading them to variables, and this may happen even if only these variables are used.

The function is:

function clearZero($value)
{
    return ($value==0) ? '' : trim($value);
}

And variables are read:

$variable1=trim($_POST['variable1']);
$variable2=clearZero($_POST["variable2"]);

I only guessing, but could this be some kind of a cache issue?

As you want to test it on all the variable of post. Please find my code below :-

function clearZero($arr){
if(is_array($arr) && !empty($arr)){
	foreach($arr as $key=>$val){
		$val != 0 ? $new_arr[$key] = $val : false;
	}
}
return $new_arr;
}

$clearArr = clearZero($_POST);
print_r($clearArr);

Actually you can do this better and faster using mjdamato's function.

$_POST = array_map('clearZero', $_POST);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.