FastCGI Error trying to install PHP in WIMP (IISv6)

Having a lot of trouble on this one.  I have been running a WIMP server on a XP virtual machine, but having got a few more contracts on the go I thought that I would install and set up a proper server.  So I installed Server 2003, set up Application Server, installed FastCGI extensions for IIS6 and got everything looking like it should.  However I can not get PHP to integrate with the IIS FastCGI.  I have tried using both the Zip and MSI for the V9 x86 Thread Safe and have got nothing but error after error.  I have allowed all server extensions, enabled scrip write access to the webdir,  associated .php with the fcgiext.dll and run the

cscript fcgiconfig.js -add -section:"PHP" -extension:php -path:"C:\PHP\php-cgi.exe"

and still get the following error:

FastCGI Error

The FastCGI Handler was unable to process the request.

Error Details:

* The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly

* Error Number: -2147467259 (0x80004005).

* Error Description: Unspecified error

HTTP Error 500 - Server Error.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Anyone know what the problem is??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.