PHP/Java Script not playing nicely together.

Maracles

On my page I use an include() to bring in my header. For most of my pages within the header  I have links to CSS stylesheets, links to external javascript files, and also javascript snippets coded into the page.

My problem is that sometimes the javascript action does not work when the code is in the head, what I have to do is take it from the header file and copy into the body of the page. Anyone have any ideas about this? IT also occasiionally happens with links to external javascript files , my link has to be taken from the header into the body of the page. 

My current issue is when i'm trying to use Jquery tabs and its this code that is giving me problems:

<script type="text/javascript">
			$(function() {
			$("#profiletabs").tabs();
			});
</script>

Any help is appreciated.

I am doing that, I load my CSS first in my header and then my javascripts after. For some reason it won't recognise them unless I put them in the body though.

When they are in the header I know the links to jquery and jquery ui are working because if I view source and click the links it disaplys the actuall .js file contents.

My header used to contain the following:

<!-- Load relevant CSS and Java documents -->

<!-- Style Sheets -->    	    

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" <?php echo CSS_GLOBAL; ?>"  />
       <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" <?php echo CSS_ARTICLE; ?>"  />
       <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" <?php echo CSS_CXAPP; ?>"  />
       <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" <?php echo CSS_BREAD; ?>" />
       <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=" <?php echo CSS_JQUERY; ?>" />

<!-- Java Script -->

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo BREADCRUMB; ?>"></script>
       <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo JQUERY; ?>"></script>
       <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo JQUERYUI; ?>"></script>

<!-- Bread Crumb -->      
		 $(document).ready(function(){
			  $('#breadcrumbs-3').xBreadcrumbs();
		 });
        </script>

<!-- Profile Tabs -->
			$(function() {
			});
</script>

I have two areas using javascript. A breadcrumb navigation and some tabs. However to get these to work I have had the move the following into the body of my page because it wouldn't recognise it. When copying to the body I didnt change anything and it just started working.

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo BREADCRUMB; ?>"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo JQUERY; ?>"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo JQUERYUI; ?>"></script>

<!-- Profile Tabs -->
			$(function() {
			});
</script>

All of the links to external javascript had to be taken from the header, but only the actual code for the tabs had to move. The code for the Breadcrumb works fine in the header.

Any ideas.

This is more of a Javascript problem than a PHP problem.

jQuery UI functions will only work once the DOM is rendered, so put them in your

}

area.

i.e.

$('#breadcrumbs-3').xBreadcrumbs();
     }
</script>

Ken

Yeah I know now, I wasn't sure if it was something to do with the include (HEADER) thing.

I've tried what you've said and thats not actually working. Which area where you referring to with the' document.ready'. I don't actually know javascript apart from how to drop Jquery into my code!

Is there a javascript area of this forum?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.