what extension of website pages .html or .php

martins

Hi - I'm new in PHP town so if you could kindly show me the way to the palace of wisdom, haha

I'm wondering what is 'better' (I know it is not an appropriate word):

1. to create a website with index.php and other pages .php as well

2. to create .html pages (index.html, etc.) with php code within php tags?

That's of course that the website will be using php and accessing mysql.

Sorry, it's a silly question, but everyone has once been a newbie.

TIA

I've read in the past that .html pages get a better page rank thank .php pages. I don't know if it's still true - It was quite a while back that I read that (about 4-5 years ago now).

One advantage to using .html extensions is that people won't know what language you are using to power your site. That adds a tiny bit of security (only a tiny bit mind you).

Most servers however won't parse PHP in .html documents by default. You will need to either change the server settings, or else add some code to your .htaccess file to do this (google 'parsing .html as PHP' or something like that).

Whatever you read about SEO 4-5 years ago is probably bollocks right now. And remember that with tools like mod_rewrite you can hide all your extensions, or get even further and change .php to .asp (I've seen one site that claimed to be running .NET port of WordPress ;) )

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.