Simple DB / Array Question

trichards

I am building a simple shopping cart.  I store my purchased items in my orders table as comma separated values.  Ex. (1,1,2,2,2).  The number coincides with product ID and frequency determines the quantity of the product.  I am interested in understanding how I can use this information to display:

(#Total Quantity of Each Product) Product Name

Ex. (3) Product Name

Thank you in advance.

Sorry, my question was jumbled.

What I was saying that instead of storing a string in the table with the numbed of item numbers indicating how many were ordered, just create a table as follows:

product_id, num_ordered

All you have to do then is to increment the num_ordered for each particular item when an order is placed.

To find out how many of an item were ordered, just to a query on that particular item number.

if you post your script and table structure, I can help you better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.