$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] and dynamic includes

JakeJ

This problem is absolutely KILLING ME.

I have index.php and it's a form with action=<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>

I want to do everything inside of index.php using includes.

I have some code that determines that name of the include that goes in the body of the page. This works fine when I first load the page since it's either looking for the results of a variable or goes to a static page name.

The include that goes in the body of the page, contains the inputs for the form. When I submit the form, I want it to do some processing and error checking and either return the errors (which works just fine) or redirect back to index.php but with a different include in the body.

The example that I've got forces me to submit twice in order for the redirect to happen if I do any conditional checking and assign the next page based on that.

I thought about posting my sample code that isn't working but I'm so turned around in my head now, I don't know which way is up. Starting with a fresh example from someone else is bound to give me some perspective on the matter.

So how would you do this?

Thanks!

Here's my code:

What happens is, when index.php loads and $_SESSION['submit'] is not set, it loads test.php. That works great. When I click the button on the form, the code in test.php checks to see if submit is set and sets $_SESSION['submit'] and sets that to 'test2.php'. But then when the form reloads, I have to click submit AGAIN in order for it to actually go to test2.php. I don't know why. Since $_SESSION['submit'] has been set, why doesn't my logic at the top of index.php read it and set $body_include to the right form and load it appropriately?

<?php
session_start();
$header_include = './includes/mainstyle.php';

if(isset($_SESSION['submit'])) {
                $body_include = $_SESSION['submit'];
}
Else {
        $body_include = "test.php";
}

include ($header_include);
?>
</head>

<body class="twoColFixLtHdr">
        <FORM NAME = "MAINFORM" ACTION=<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?> METHOD=POST runat="vdaemon">
        <!-- begin #header -->
        <?php include_once("/includes/incl_header2.php");
        ?>
        <!-- end #header -->

<!-- begin #sidebar -->
        <div id="sidebar1">
        <?php include ("/includes/incl_sidebar.php");
        ?>
        </div>
        <!-- end #sidebar -->

<!-- end #sidebar1 -->

<!-- begin #main content -->
        <div id="mainContent">
        <?php
        echo $body_include;
        include($body_include);
        #$process =1;

?>

</div>
        <!-- end #mainContent -->

<!-- This clearing element should immediately follow the #mainContent div in order to force the #container div to contain all child floats -->
        <br class="clearfloat" />
  <div id="footer">
    <p> </p>
  <!-- end #footer --></div>
<!-- end #container --></div>
</FORM>
</body>
</html>

//test.php
<?php
        Echo "Please log in<br>
        Username: <input type='text' name='username' value='' /><br />
        Password: <input type='password' name='password' value='' /><br /><br />
        Log In <INPUT ID='submit' NAME='submit' TYPE=IMAGE BORDER=0 SRC='../images/wiz_edit.png' VALUE='login'><p>";   

If (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
                $_SESSION['submit'] = 'test2.php';
}
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.