Considering setting up a vps server

ldb358

I currently have a desktop that was great but after i got my laptop has gotten little use, so i am thinking about making it into a vps web server where i will provide the server and my friends will pay for the internet connection the specs are:

750gb hard drive (would like to partion it in to 3 separate vps')

8gb ram

2.2 amd quadcore

my questions are:

a)Are these specs good enough? (i would assume so but you never know)

b)what software would i need to do this?(i want to run a ubuntu server)

c)Any other advise?

Those specs would easily run 3 vps servers using openVZ (I don't believe Ubuntu supports openVZ however, you'd need to look into Xen) without issue. the issue however comes once traffic starts to hit & without specs, we couldn't say.

okay thanks i am reading up on openVZ, it seems to be exactly what i was looking for.

the issue however comes once traffic starts to hit & without specs, we couldn't say.

What exactly do you mean by this? I am assuming you mean site traffic, which should be pretty low as i will only be running a portfolio and blog on it

What exactly do you mean by this? I am assuming you mean site traffic

Yes, I mean site traffic. The more traffic you get the harder your machine will work. Of course, the best thing about using vps's is that you can limit each virtual machine so as to not kill the host machine.

Ive been using openVZ for years and it is awesome. However, if you want to use Ubuntu as your host OS I'm not sure openVZ is supported through apt. You may want to look into Xen which is another very popular virtualization tool.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.