\n in text database

Casalen

Okay, so I'm expanding the user data functions on a script. It now creates a directory for each new user, including a few files. Each of the database files starts with a die command so that it can't be easily read from the browser. After the die command is written the character \n, which should translate into a new line in the text file. So I take a file, open it in notepad++ to see if the data wrote, and find the data written... except that I see \n instead of a new line. All except for one file, base.db.php, which works perfectly. Any suggestions? I don't really need that part, but it's frustrating anyway. I'm pretty tired right now, so forgive me if it's something I should have seen.

[code]$new_index_file = fopen("$userdir" . "/index.php", "a");
$new_base_file = fopen("$userdir" . "/base.db.php", "a");
$new_profile_file = fopen("$userdir" . "/profile.db.php", "a");
fwrite($new_base_file, "<?PHP die(\"You cannot access this file.\"); ?>|\n");
fwrite($new_base_file, "$add_time|$reglevel|$regusername|$regpassword|$regnickname|$regemail|$regusergroups|0|0||||\n");
fwrite($new_profile_file, "<?PHP die(\"You cannot access this file.\"); ?>|\n");
fwrite($new_profile_file, "$firstname|$lastname|$birthday|$hidemail|$title|$description|$status|0|0|||\n");
$new_calendar_file = fopen("$userdir" . "/calendar.db.php", "a");
fwrite($new_calendar_file, '<?PHP die("You cannot access this file."); ?>\n');[/code]

The problem is you are using single quotes when writring to calendar.php:
[code=php:0]fwrite($new_calendar_file, '<?PHP die("You cannot access this file."); ?>\n');[/code]

If you use single quotes. PHP will treat \n as-s (meaning normal text). it will not treat \n as a new line character. The solution is to use double quotes:
[code=php:0]fwrite($new_calendar_file, "<?PHP die(\"You cannot access this file.\"); ?>\n");[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.