Command Line Sound Recorder

nss10

Hi,

This is my first post here and I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I'm a fairly competent PHP coder, but my Linux skills need a bit of fine-tuning. I have a server in a small bar which wants to record the gigs and automatically upload them onto their website. I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo for the server which is using Ubuntu as the OS. I've made the rest of the website but now I need to create the recording stuff.

Put simply, I have a line going from the sound desk from an auxiliary going into the normal jack line-in on the server. I was thinking that if I had a decent, simple software package installed on the server then I could create a PHP script which invokes it using lines like '

start recording [filename]

' and '

stop recording

'. Then I could move the file to the public_html folder to be read by the site.

Basically, does anybody have any advice for getting a free linux command-line sound recorder which is simple enough to have '

start recording [filename]

' and '

stop recording

'?

I hope I'm clear enough in my question.

Thanks in advance.

There are several command line recorders. For example, arecord, sound-recorder ect. The only problem I see is stopping the recording. I am not sure if simply killing the process would mess up the recording or not. You could test it with sound-recorder and see if it does or not.

Start a recording:

sound-recorder -P song.wav

and then simply kill the process.

Hi,

Thanks for your help! I've managed to record with excellent quality using arecord.

I'm now going to start making my PHP script so that user's don't have to use the command line but a web interface. I've found an example on the exec() function's api which might simulate the execution and kill process.

Thanks again!!  :D

• 8 months later...

Hello brother, I am also looking for such solution. As you said you have managed to do the job. Can you please share with me so that I can do this as well.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your help! I've managed to record with excellent quality using arecord.

I'm now going to start making my PHP script so that user's don't have to use the command line but a web interface. I've found an example on the exec() function's api which might simulate the execution and kill process.

Thanks again!!  :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.