getting search results if one parameter is empty

glennn.php

If you're asking for when the search is empty in one column, then:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE  id=2 AND ISNULL([columnname]);

If it's not null, then:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id=2 AND NOT ISNULL([columnname]);

Please describe better next time what you are looking for.

If you're asking for when the search is empty in one column, then:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE  id=2 AND ISNULL([columnname]);

If it's not null, then:

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE id=2 AND NOT ISNULL([columnname]);

Please describe better next time what you are looking for.

yeah, i didn't quite know how to word my question:

the Search Form has options to search, say, Name and City - if someone searches for JUST a name and ANY City, the query "WHERE name = $name AND city = $city" won't work because the variable passed is empty if they don't choose a City. So "...WHERE name = 'Smith' AND city = ' '..." returns nothing since all the city fields are populated.

hope that makes more sense.

thanks

GN

Build your query dynamically, the simplest method would be:

$statement = "select * from table where id = 2";
if ($_POST['name']) {
  $statement .= " and name = '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name'])."'";
}
$result = mysql_query($statement);

Just make sure you have a valid query or check and return an error if you don't get anything submitted.

How would you do this if you were using prepared statements, since you can't build your queries and then insert them in prepared statements?

Say you have this query:

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM table WHERE (name = :name) AND (city = :city)");

How would you write a conditional for city being empty? I've tried this with no luck:

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE (name = :name) IF($city == "", '', 'AND (city = :city)");

Any ideas? I have the same problem, a value that may be left blank, but in prepared statements you can't build queries and then insert them, it errors out.

How would you do this if you were using prepared statements, since you can't build your queries and then insert them in prepared statements?

Say you have this query:

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM table WHERE (name = :name) AND (city = :city)");

How would you write a conditional for city being empty? I've tried this with no luck:

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE (name = :name) IF($city == "", '', 'AND (city = :city)");

Any ideas? I have the same problem, a value that may be left blank, but in prepared statements you can't build queries and then insert them, it errors out.

I don't normally do it that way, but can't you create the query as a variable still?

$statement = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE (name = :name)";
if ($city) {
  $statement .= " AND (city = :city)";
}

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare($statement);

I tried that but it didn't work... if I choose a category it works, but if I don't (it is set to 0 if it is empty) I get no results...

$statement = "SELECT * FROM posts WHERE";

if ($this->_category == 0) {
	$statement .= " (post_price < :price) AND (post_class = :class) AND (MATCH (post_title, post_description) AGAINST (+:keywords IN BOOLEAN MODE))";
}
else {
	$statement .= " (post_cat = :category) AND (post_price < :price) AND (post_class = :class) AND 
                (MATCH (post_title, post_description) AGAINST (+:keywords IN BOOLEAN MODE))";
}

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare($statement);

Say I choose the category 'apples' and I get 6 results.... if I don't choose a category, I should at least get those same 6 results plus results from all other categories with the words apples in the description or title... but if I don't choose a category I get nadda...

I have no idea why the above didn't work but I put a quick hack in and it worked...

if ($category == 0) {
$this->_category = "5000";
$this->_whereCat = "post_cat NOT LIKE :category";
}
else {
$this->_category = $category;
$this->_whereCat = "post_cat = :category";
}

$this->stmt = $this->_dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE ... AND ($this->_whereCat) AND ...");

That seems to work since we only have 60 categories now and will never have over 100, so any categoryid not 5000 shows up.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.