tried to install xampp on lucid lynx but things went wrong

gencom97

Hello. This is my first post (second, actually, if the introduction counts ::)). I'm a newbie, so please go easy on me. I used to make my codes easily in xampp for windows. But things went a little dizzy for me when I'm trying to use xampp on linux 10.04 lucid lynx. I've browsed the net and found that version 1.7.1 should give me less trouble. The xampp installation went fine. The http://localhost/xampp page looks good. I copied my files from my windows xampp/htdocs folder(I'm using dual OS, windows XP and lucid), it copied well. But as I started to browse it, my browser (firefox 3.6.3) says Access Forbidden. I'm confused, and I tried starting firefox as root (sudo su-> firefox), but it still says Access Forbidden. Would anybody please help me solving this problem?

The xampp installation went fine. The http://localhost/xampp page looks good.

Reading that it does seem the installation went well.

I copied my files from my windows xampp/htdocs folder(I'm using dual OS, windows XP and lucid), it copied well. But as I started to browse it, my browser (firefox 3.6.3) says Access Forbidden. I'm confused, and I tried starting firefox as root (sudo su-> firefox), but it still says Access Forbidden. Would anybody please help me solving this problem?

Since youre xampp splash page seems to do just fine the server should be fine too. This however has nothing to do with your browser. Try any other browser you'll prob get the exact same thing. Most likely the trouble occured when you coppied the htdocs files from windows to your linux htdocs folder. Try setting the write permissions for your files in the htdocs folder.

The directories in question need to b accessible to the user that Apache runs under.

None of these problems would exist if you would use Ubuntu's package manager to install php, apache and mysql.

IT WORKS! 8)

Thank God, it works.

But I also thank you all for the suggestions. Here's the story. I removed the lampp. Then I installed apache and phpmyadmin using synaptics package manager. Then I test the apache, it works. Then I

chown -R myname /var/www/
chmod -R 755 /var/www/

and voila!  :o

How stupid of me...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.