thinkitpostit.com

cjstewart88

Just thought I would try to get some feedback on my website. thinkitpostit is basically a simple website where you can post your thoughts or read others. You can simply just read through all the postings or choose to register and login to post your own thoughts. I made the website using PHP, MySQL, HTML5/CSS,  and JavaScript/jQuery. Feel free to use thinkitpostit if you like it. Thanks for any feedback.

www.thinkitpostit.com

Look up Gracefull Degradation, when I visited your homepage all I got was the left and right arrow nothing else. Besides that it's looks good.

Are you using Safari? There is a known bug that only happens with Safari, jQuery likes to fadeIn then fadeOut the content allowing the users to see virtually nothing. I'm still working on a solution, I am trying my best to make this website as cross-browser friendly as I can. Thanks for taking a look though.

site is clean and simple, yes.

few things...

"thinkit->postit()" might kinda look cool as a title, but it is not sufficient for search engines.  A title is supposed to be a way of capturing what the page is about.

perhaps put a "what is this?" kind of link so as to explain what the site is used for.

consider using AJAX to call the additional postit's on demand instead of pre-loading dozens of them when majority of them are not even in view.

just some honest opinions.

ADDITIONAL: why the mandatory registration, too?  ex that IMO.

site is clean and simple, yes.

few things...

"thinkit->postit()" might kinda look cool as a title, but it is not sufficient for search engines.  A title is supposed to be a way of capturing what the page is about.

perhaps put a "what is this?" kind of link so as to explain what the site is used for.

consider using AJAX to call the additional postit's on demand instead of pre-loading dozens of them when majority of them are not even in view.

just some honest opinions.

Thanks for the feedback, I actually did not know that about titles, thanks. Also, yes, I need to figure out a system for only loading the needed posts. Once again thanks for the comments.

Look up Gracefull Degradation, when I visited your homepage all I got was the left and right arrow nothing else. Besides that it's looks good.

Are you using Safari? There is a known bug that only happens with Safari, jQuery likes to fadeIn then fadeOut the content allowing the users to see virtually nothing. I'm still working on a solution, I am trying my best to make this website as cross-browser friendly as I can. Thanks for taking a look though.

No I use FF but I tested your website how it acts when I disable JS. Your website should remain usable even if someone does not have JS.

No I use FF but I tested your website how it acts when I disable JS. Your website should remain usable even if someone does not have JS.

What version of FF are you using?

What version of FF are you using?

It does not matter which version I use. This is about usability, if a user has JS disabled (ex. NoScript) it makes your website unusable for these. Plus, what you did with JS can easily be done with PHP, only for the pop-up would you need JS but also for this I would look up an alternative, example:

<a href="index.php?action=view&id=<?php print $id; ?>" onclick="popUpPreventsDefault(..)">

If JS is disabled they'll be directed to a page to see the information otherwise a JS pop-up is shown that counters the href action (.preventDefault() in jQuery).

It looks pretty good, but it's totally unusable from a community point of view. What happens if there was a few thousand posts, and someone wanted to show someone one? There's no way (or obvious way) of linking to them.. Unfortunately that also means Google has no way of indexing them, and so your site fails badly on SEO.

I don't get it. And here's why this is a good critique... I didn't bother reading your description I just clicked on the link and I came to a site.. i stared at it for about 15 seconds even though I lost interest after 3. I have no idea what your site does, how to use it, or why I should care about. Not every user will have the luxury of reading your post and description about your site so you have to assume that whoever looks at it has no idea about it and no back story either.

You need to develop an intro of sorts that gets me excited and understanding of what i'm looking at. I would start off with something like:

Welcome to Thinkitpostit!

An instant way to share your thoughts!

Some type of tag line that says what your site does ... (Ahhh okay, I know what this does.)

Next:

Thinkitpostit is your thoughts about all sorts of user submitted questions. Just browse the questions and post an answer... it's just that easy! (ohhh.. now I know what to do here)

etc etc etc

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.