Cannot rewrite "path/" if path.php exists.

adrianTNT

Hello, I have a strange problem with mod rewrite, this rewrite rule shows 404 error:

RewriteRule ^admin(/)?$ admin.php

as long as the .php file is named the same. But if I rename existent file on server to something like admins.php and rewrite "admin/" to admins.php then it works ok.

It looks like I would not be able to rewrite "path/" if path.php exists

I am using a "grid" hosting account from Godaddy. These rules worked fine on some dedicated servers from where I got the site files.

I also seen this... I have files as:

/image_files/120.jpg

and if I access same path without it's extension it still shows the file.

That happens with no rewrite rules from my end, I deleted the .htaccess to test this.

Let me know if this indicates any other issue, otherwise I am waiting for GoDaddy's answer and inform them about this other thing if needed. Looks like it is from their configuration, it is not a dedicated server so my access to settings is limited.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.