Favourite or most used Linux Distribution

hackalive

What is your favourite linux distribution? (and post why)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite linux distribution? (and post why)

• CentOS
    • Gentoo
    • Slackware
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Linux Mint
    • Mandriva
    • Debian
    • openSUSE
    • Fedora
    • Ubuntu
    • other

Please vote and post why, if its not listed use Other and post which one

You can only vote once, and cannot change your vote after posting

PS also post if you have ever used LFS, and which Distro you based yours off of.

:-D

Look foreward to finding out which is the most popular and why

I use Ubuntu on my desktops, laptops and servers because it "just works" (*most of the time), I don't have the time to sit there configuring a base install of something else to meet my requirements. I also like it's aptitude package manager over what the other distros offer.

*However, this is a shortfall of all distributions from what I can work out, and that it that support for multiple monitor set-ups is lacking. I'd have thought that a large majority of the programmers contributing to the OS would be working with multiple monitors, but that obviously isn't the case.

I've used Fedora Core for about 3 years now. I dual-boot Windows and FC10, but I think I've booted into Windows like twice (just to see if it was still there  ;))

Anyway, I just ordered a netbook, so my plan is to install eeebuntu on it, then either use http://www.thinstation.org/ or http://www.ltsp.org/ to setup a thin client server with a new box for dual-boot on the netbook (probably ubuntu as well, but I should experiment..it's easy with a thin client).

That way, when I'm home, I can use the power of a desktop in the kitchen or my bed or "office", and when I'm out, I have the netbook to play with!

Thoughts?

I'd have thought that a large majority of the programmers contributing to the OS would be working with multiple monitors, but that obviously isn't the case.

I think the for-free part has something to do with that :P

It's a possibility, but I'd imagine that almost all contributors are programmers in some other capacity, so would have this requirement for their other programming too. Then again, I'm sure there are more people writing code on a single screen than there are on more than one.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.