PHP certification

colin-java

Hi, I am in England, and relativly new to PHP, but have used a couple of php scripts in my website to connect to MySql.

I'm interested in obtaining a PHP certification, but I'm not sure where to go.

I don't want to pay thousands for a course, I'd be happy with a cheap online course or just studying from books/online material, and then take the exam.

Can anyone advise me in this, thanks very much.

The only recognised PHP certification is from ZEND. Here are the details.

http://www.zend.com/services/certification/php-5-certification/

There are no other official certifications, and any that claim to be are not! if you are new to PHP then there is no need for you to be doing any kind of exams. If all you are looking for is to test yourself, then I suggest a book from the likes of O'Reilly where they sometimes have test questions or a practical test at the end of each chapter. You will have to browse Amazon to get more info on each book.

Also, there maybe training courses available near you, but be warned they are not cheap. I have attended a couple through these guys http://www.wellho.co.uk/ They are good however it was the company I work for that paid for us to attend. It is not something you would pay for yourself really.

If you are a hobbyist or looking to do freelance work then learn from books, online tutorials, and forums like these. Try to answer questions from posts to test yourself, even if you are wrong there will be someone who will correct you and you will learn something new. All I can say is be careful with the online stuff. A tutorial may show you a method for a task but it may not be the best, it may even be bad practice. That is why it is good to have reference books. Stick to the methods shown in a book to begin with, and if the online tutorials are showing a different method then you can ask the questions, ask them here in fact.

Good luck.

Thanks, thats very helpful, I agree those training courses can cost thousands.

Like learn java in a weekend for £5000 in germany or something, it can't really be done that quick.

I like the 2nd option, that has the certification and some online tests, I'll look into it. Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.