Overflow div in a table

mentalist

The easiest way to demonstrate this is with a touch of code:

<div style='width:400px;background-color:#aff;font-size:16px;'>
This should be about the right width...............<br />
<br />

<!--<table width='100%'><tr><td>-->
<div style='background-color:#faf;font-size:16px;'><pre>This is an extra long piece of text which will need to overflow onto the next line or push out...</pre></div>
<br />
<div style='background-color:#faf;font-size:16px;overflow-x:scroll;'><pre>This is an extra long piece of text which will need to overflow onto the next line or push out...</pre></div>
<br />
<div style='background-color:#faf;font-size:16px;overflow-x:scroll;white-space:pre;'>This is an extra long piece of text which will need to overflow onto the next line or push out...</div>
<br />
<!--</td></tr></table>-->

</div>

As is the code should do what it's supposed to do. But if you remove the quotes and wrap the divs in a table then they inherit width from somewhere and push out of the container...

Any suggestions as to how to restrain them?

Cheers!

P.S. I can't stop these overflow divs from not being placed within tables, so just removing the table is not enough.

• 4 months later...

It's been a while and if I remember correctly I found a workaround (from linuxquestions.org forum source), but...

The container div has a width, I was wanting everything inside to conform to that width (as a max anyway).

p.s. I'll try and find the solution I found and post it (can't believe I didn't at the time...)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.