variable scope mixing php and html

rramsey

Hi,

I know all the ways to work around this, but now I'm just curious.  On php 4.3.x I want to mix blocks of php code and html code and have the variables from one php block accessible in other php blocks.  For example:

<?php
global $test;
$test = "hello world";
?>
<html>
<body>
<p>
<?php print "test is:    $test -"; ?>
</p>
<p>
<?php 
global $test; print "test is:    $test -";
?>
</p>
</body>
</html>

Both paragraph blocks print the same thing, "test is:    -" with $test having no value.  Is there a way to do this?  Searching brings back so many responses, all about variable scope and using global, that I couldn't find anything.

There are about 10 different ways to solve the problem, but I just got curious if this was even possible.

Thanks!

Yep, I knew that.  I was experimenting to see if the global function would work in the different blocks.  I didn't see anything on the manual page or in the notes about working between the <?php ?> blocks like it does for functions.  I figured if I left it in, people wouldn't suggest global. :)

Session variables would work as well, I guess.

When PHP is processing your script, anything outside the <?php ?> tags not processed, so something like

<?php
//
// php stuff
//
$var = 'stuff';
?>
<html stuff>
<?php
//
//  more php stuff
//
echo $var;
?>

looks like

<?php
//
// php stuff
//
$var = 'stuff';
//
//  more php stuff
//
echo $var
?>

to the PHP Processor.  There are no "blocks". It's all one script.

Ken

In your particular case, it's not about the scope of variables, rather the way you are trying to display them.

Your best approach is . . .

<?PHP $test = 'test variable'; ?>
<html>
<body>
<p>
<?PHP echo '$test = '.$test; ?>
</p>
</body>
</html>

Zagga

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.